Help! Removing bar end plugs

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I have a Cube bike, and want to replace the current bar grips for a pair with integrated bar ends. Whilst I can see how the grips come off after undoing the small Allen bolt, what I rather embarrassingly cannot see is how to remove the bar end plugs! The grips won't slide over the top of them, and I have tried every way I can think of to prise them off without success. They do not appear to have any external fixing, so I can only assume that there is some internal means of securing them. I don't want to destroy them or damage the ends of the bars. What's the secret, folks?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I have a Cube bike, and want to replace the current bar grips for a pair with integrated bar ends. Whilst I can see how the grips come off after undoing the small Allen bolt, what I rather embarrassingly cannot see is how to remove the bar end plugs! The grips won't slide over the top of them, and I have tried every way I can think of to prise them off without success. They do not appear to have any external fixing, so I can only assume that there is some internal means of securing them. I don't want to destroy them or damage the ends of the bars. What's the secret, folks?
They are usually friction fit. If they're tight try a blade of some kind to gently work it off

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Yes, all the ones I've had in the past have been a simple push fit. Can't budge these, though - not even with the assistance of a hammer. Definitely secured internally in some way.