Removing motor assembly from BBS02?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
When you take the four screws out of the motor side of the BBS02, are the phase wires long enough to allow the unit to be pulled out enough for access to the nylon gear?. Just for a visual check and to pop a little more grease in there.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Update on this. I took the four screws out of the motor side and very gently wiggled the motor unit away from the main housing. The gap was enough that I could just see that the phase wires were a little taught in there. Therefore, I opened up the controller side and pushed the phase wires through the rubber grommets a bit more, which allowed the motor to be pulled out far enough for inspection inside.

The nylon gear appeared to be in excellent condition and the orange shaft seal, on the end of the motor shaft, was intact and in excellent condition also. These have been known to disintegrate and cause problems with the motor shaft and end bearing.

Considering this unit has been maxed out controller configs wise, and the motor gets a less than easy life, it shows little sign of wear.

I think there is a little wear in the final drive cogs, but that's what's to be expected, due to the less than perfect method of lubrication with grease.

All in all, the BBS02 is a lovely little piece of engineering. Well done Bafang :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kinninvie

Advertisers