Removing real wheel from Carrera Crossfire E

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
I've recently acquired a Carrera Crossfire E and was wondering how to remove the rear wheel in case of a puncture on the go.

I'm guessing you remove the nuts with a spanner but what about the electric wire going into the hub?

At a quick look I can remove the velcro neoprene cover near the wheel which reveals a connector and I would guess that unplugging the connector would be the next step but there is a cable tie on each side of the connector which means I still wouldn't be able to take the wheel off freely even after disconnecting that connector. Do I need to cut the cable tie on the side of the hub to remove the rear wheel? If so is that something I can just do and rely on the neoprene cover to secure the cable around the connector?

I don't want to have to carry something with me that can cut through cable ties every time I go out in case I get a puncture so if that is the case I will just cut the tie now.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need to remove the wheel to fix a puncture. you turn the bike upside down, lever off the tyre on one side, pull out the tube and fix the puncture.

If you want to take the wheel off to change the tyre, you undo the nuts, follow the cable from the motor until you come to the connector, disconnected, pull back the derailleur and pull the wheel out. Make sure you look at the order of washers and spacers before pulling the wheel out so that you can put it back the same. Note that the axle can go in the drop-outs in two positions 180 deg apart. The correct one is with the wire exiting downwards when the bike's up the right way.

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
Thanks for all the tips! I've had a play with taking the back wheel of and cut the cable tie closest to the hub to do do it. I put the wheel back on and reconnected the electric cable connection, but I haven't put a new cable to on... Ive just tightly put the neoprene/Velcro wrap back around. I've had a run out on it and it seems fine. That enables me to change a tube on the go if I get a rear puncture... If I find I have any probs without that additional cable to I will pick up some of those re-usable ones and add it.

Last edited: