Rent an E-Bike for £40 a month

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting. Shame it has a technically illegal 350w motor ... and no step through. It will be interesting to see how the scheme goes.

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hmm companies house searches don't fill me with confidence tbh as one directors previous involves a car hire scheme that was compulsorily dissolved and a other IT related venture currently now in liquidation After a failed CVA

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
No address on their website mmmm...

Bit of digging and it's a new company

Odd business model - as potentially fixing lease bikes up & down the country could be an expensive overhead.

FAQ "What happens when I have a problem? > Just contact Us and we will organise a convenient time when you’re in and our mobile unit will come direct to your door and fix the problem, if the problem can’t be fixed there and then we will leave you a new ebike and take the faulty one away."

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Oh and I can't find on Facebook despite the link a d their email bounces

I am on a train so maybe its my issue...

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No address on their website mmmm...

Bit of digging and it's a new company

Odd business model - as potentially fixing lease bikes up & down the country could be an expensive overhead.

FAQ "What happens when I have a problem? > Just contact Us and we will organise a convenient time when you’re in and our mobile unit will come direct to your door and fix the problem, if the problem can’t be fixed there and then we will leave you a new ebike and take the faulty one away."
There is a" registered" address in the t and c on the page.

Hurrecane: Hurrecane Limited (registered in England and Wales with company number 11615432 with registered office address at 1st Floor 2 Woodberry Grove, Finchley, London, England, N12 0DR.

But it doesn't match the CH registered address

1,Shepperton Marina, Felix Lane, Shepperton, Middlesex, England, TW17 8NS

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
It can't work because it is MUCH too cheap.
Say the bikes cost £800 each : at £40 per month it would take 20 months just to recover the purchase cost without giving any profit to the company.
Either the people behind the scheme are stupid or it is some sort of scam/money-laundering game.

Mysteryman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2012
Looking at the website initially it reminded me of another ebike website, looks very similar to the Cyclotricity website, hopefully they haven't cloned the Cyclotricity website.

nikkoman88

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2020
Hey :) Just wanted to respond to this thread with my recent experience so signed up to respond :). I placed a deposit on a Hurrecane ebike last month on a whim and then started googling the firm after the fact. The only thing I could find apart from their marketing was this thread. I agreed with a lot here, it seemed to good to be true and I started doing the maths and couldn’t work out the business model. Paul from Hurrecane stayed in touch and told me shipping time was extended by three weeks due to Covid. I kept an open mind but was still dubious. This morning a Hurrecane staff member hand delivered me a brand new 1500w ebike fully built and charged, and spent 30 mins running me through it all. He drove from their workshop in Reading to my house in South London. I still can’t quite work out the business model (maybe to grow a big subscription base and sell?) but I can tell you the service has actually been better than I’ve ever received off much larger companies, the bike itself is immense, well built and bloody quick. All in all I’m absolutely made up and still grinning ear to ear from this evenings ride. Hit me up if you’ve got any questions - I thought it may be useful in case anybody is searching in the future :)
Nik

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
be careful with it though, it's not street legal without a number plate, VED, insurance and you wearing a helmet.
The law allows only 250W e-bikes with 15mph assisted speed. A heavy 1500W bike is not one that you can legally ride on cycle tracks.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Gotta say I'm completely confused. So basically it's a rented bike...but it's not insured unlike a rented car would be, and as it's illegal to ride on the road insurance is impossible. Should you hit someone it will be down the road for you I'm afraid.
Another thing, if you don't actually own the machine you don't own the battery either so why do the owners give a price for one, when it gives up the ghost it's for them to replace it not you, surely you are hiring a complete bike inc battery ? We know a ebike battery has a limited life and will need replacing sooner or later, but if that cost comes out of your pocket you will still be paying the same rental fee regardless.
I assume you went into all this when you signed up ?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
A quick look at there FAQ’S

Q/ Are Hurrecane bikes road legal and do I need a license to ride one?

They list the legal requirement, including

A/ The motor shouldn’t have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts.

as all of there bikes are over 250 watts, none are legal but they have avoided sayingour bikes are NOT road legal”

I assume there customers are either ignorant or the law or don’t care about the law.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On the home page there is a drop down box ' e bikes' and there is a tick box to select a 250w option on some of the bikes, though there are a lot of illegal options to order.
As usual it will be down to the rider if they are caught for riding an illegal bike.

An initial deposit is required how much ?
When you return the bike if it is found to be or suffered damage beyond wear &tear you are liable for the repair cost or cost of damage to said bike.

If t is stolen and you aren't insured the renter is liable for the bike replacement cost.

The costs can mount up esp if the user doesn't take out insurance for the bike, read 16. T & C's. In the case of an accident I expect the insurance will be void on the illegal bikes.

My advice is not to touch with a BARGE POLE and a very long one.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
There’s a only remote chance that a rider gets stopped by the police riding these illegal machines and is even less likely that the bike is confiscated.
should this happen and a rented bike is taken by the police, will the rental company accept the loss or will they come after the renter for the loss of the bike.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Where on earth in South London can you legally ride it?
Even where I live in Gower, unless I can get permission from a farmer to use his fields there is nowhere I could use it. It is illegal to use a motor vehicle on common land or bridle paths. Use on footpaths is questionable even for non powered bikes.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I think many people forget (or don't realize) that the "to ride on private land" line covers a multitude of sins.
Unless you have permission from the landowner who could be a farmer, the local council or even the MOD, then you could be in trouble if you just assume off road is simply that, away from cars & pedestrians.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt