Replacement battery.

Andy Corbett

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2019
Hiya all. I've been given an old Dawes ebike with a knackered battery. Weve tested the battery and its definetly gone. I can get a replacement battery of f Amazon and ebay for about £110. The only problem is mating up the interface between the bike and the battery which is completely different. Also we believe the battery has a voltage controller built into it for the twist grip. At least we think thats what it is. So my questions are...

Does anyone know where I can get components to make an interface that fits one of the batterys on ebay ?

Do replacement batterys always contain a voltage controller for variable speed?

The connections are just the standard 2 lives and 2 earths.

Many thanks

Andy

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Andy

Please post plenty pictures of battery, bike and connections

In sure we can get you sorted . Plus be careful with cheapo Ebay batteries. They often have substandard Chinese cells within them resulting in poor performance and life

We may have better options for you given all the info

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I bet Jimmy at bga reworking could recell that with top drawer cells. Probably be in the region of £250, arranges courier pick up and drop off, normally turns it around in 7 days.

Reactions: Michael Price

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I also think a bga / Jimmy recall is the way to go. Your case is so huge due to old school ceels that you could choose between a huge capacity battery or lower weight

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What you're calling the voltage controller is the motor controller. It's not part of the battery. Most rack batteries come in two parts - the actual battery and the receiver for it. The receivers normally, but not always, have a compartment at the front to house the controller and its connectors. You can use any battery you want of the same voltage, and you can fix it to the bike how or where you want, then put the controller in a tool-bag under the saddle.

Andy Corbett

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2019
Thanks for all the advice folks. I've dropped them an email. Hopefully they'll be able to sort me out.