Replacement controller for Tongxin motor

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Can anyone suggest a suitable controller for a 36v Tongxin?
My kit has been disassembled for a couple of years and, when I went to set it up, the controller had disappeared.
I don't need anything fancy, just robust enough not to blow on normal use. Waterproof would be good too, but not essential.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not the controller that will blow, it's the motor. From memory, they used to use a 12 amp one, which is a bit lower than most. 15 amps is more normal. Some controllers with LCDs have adjustable maximum current via the settings, but I don't know how well they'd work with a sensorless Tonxin.

I know some of the Tonxins were sensorless, but not sure if all were. How many wires or connector pins do you have?

If you just want a basic controller, the KU63 or KU65 from BMSBattery can work just about any motor, but they're 15 amps. The KU65 has an LED control panel with three speed levels. If you get a wattmeter of ammeter, you can reduce the current down to 12 amps by filing or crimping the shunt. They also do the LSW-675 with an LCD for sensorless motors, which is normally pretty good for small motors like the Tonxin.

Reactions: frank9755

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks. The original tongxin controllers (c.15 years ago) were prone to blowing: I had a couple go. But I agree, best not to put too much current through the motor.
Mine is sensorless.
I'll look into those suggestions, much appreciated.