Replacement E-Bike

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I converted a Carrera Vengeance about 4 years ago with a Cyclotricity Front Hub 250W 36v and a 15Ah battery which has been a great bike for me. I bought a Carrera Vulcan to replace my old one, what a disappointment, its packed up now for the second time and Halfords say they have been waiting 2 months for controllers and it could be another 2 months for a replacement controller to come. I have asked for a refund and I`m just waiting word back from them.

So I`m looking for suggestions for a replacement bike, hopefully a better one than the Vulcan. Cheers, Johnny.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You need to tell us about yourself, how much you want to pay and what you want to do with the bike if you want to get sensible suggestions. Based on what you've told us so far, any bike should be suitable except Carrera or other bikes with the same Suntour electrics.

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Hi, Well both bikes I`ve had were great, I`m not into downhill stuff, just off road tracks and roads, around 30-40 miles range, price up to £2000. the biggest problem is finding one in stock. The main reason I went to halfords is getting it fixed if it goes wrong, and boy did I need it. I`ve even been thinking about buying a bike and converting it again, the cyclotricity one has been great, I still have it, but it`s getting like myself, passed it`s best.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As you know how to do it, conversion would be my choice, so that you can get it exactly how you want and be master of your destiny thereafter rather than having to take your bike to wherever to get it fixed.

Apart from that, E-bikesdirect have the Wisper Wayfarer and a load of other bikes in stock. They're generally a good company to buy from, or if you want something more oriented to trails, the Oxygen MTB.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Another though I had was just buying a new controller for the vulcan, that would probably give it more grunt.
Some people have done that, but it's quite complicated. You have to chuck everything other than the battery and motor, then wire in the new controller, install a new pedal sensor, etc.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
the cyclotricity one has been great, I still have it, but it`s getting like myself, passed it`s best.
What way is it past its best? It might be best to sort out that old one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Retrofitting a KT electric kit shouldn't be too hard. the motor connector is non std so one would just splice the motor wire on the existing cable run at the controller using colour to colour protocol and still utilise the Suntour connector to disconnect the wheel if needed.

Related Articles

Advertisers