replacement pannier rack

jcat00uk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2012
hi the pannier rack on my Camino has sheared off on both sides,
is there a specific type of rack that attaches to the Camino that bolts onto the frame, all replacements I have found have generic attachment points near the wheel or seat posts.
Can anyone point me in the direction of what type of rack I can get to attach to the frame attachment points, or is the rack on Camino some sort of custom rack that I can't find a similar replacement for

cheers

John

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The rack design is really good because the shape of the structure hardly needs to be welded. Strange that the welds broke.

If it were mine, I'd bind the two joints with braided fishing line, then soak the binding with epoxy. Add a bit of black paint when set, and it'll be stronger than new. I fixed a motorbike panier rack like that more than ten years ago. Since then, it's carried a lot of heavy shopping.

Each loop round of 30lb line will support 60lb, so around 50 turns would support more than a ton. There's no way you could get that sort of force on the joint unless your bike got run over by a bus, in which case the last thing you'd be worrying about would be your rack.

Last edited:

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I would contact Woosh first to see if they can help.
What about putting a right angle bracket on the frame, one side would attach to the bike frame and one side would attach to a standard annier rack. Something like this, a bit of a bodge though.

jcat00uk

Apr 29, 2012
yeah i was thinking epoxy and wire, but the break is on both sides and is sprung away from the original join with quite a bit of force, so im not sure if the bind would hold, i might have to try using a small metal bracket and bolt it onto the broken end and use the screw from the other end to hold the other side.

cheers

John

Attachments

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, what about using a flat bracket with two or three holes, attach one end to the bolt in the frame and put another one or two screws (self tapping might be the best kind) into the existing pannier rack.

Last edited:

jcat00uk

Apr 29, 2012
Hi, what about using a flat bracket with two r three holes, attach one end to the bolt in the frame and put another one or two screws (self tapping might be the best kind) into the existing pannier rack.
yeah thats probably gonna be my best option, i'll put some epoxy in the break for good measure as well

John

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Unless overloaded beyond the maker's loading specification, is it not simply a design issue as the break is at a designed in weak point?

That is a highly stressed location which has already been weakened by the manufacturing deformation of the tube, and the piercing. This, coupled with its being a point loaded fixing. A view rather endorsed by the failure being at the same point on both sides?

If not abused then surely it is covered by the CRA 2015, unless purchased pre 2015?

Fortunately for all involved one that can readily remedied by the vender, if only in the short term, by replacing it, as it is a bolt on unit? How long a replacement would last without a design enhancement is a question, but being aware of this design weakness ought to guide one not asking as much of the rack.

Advertisers