Replacing the controller for brushless motor on a Viking Ego - what part(s) do I need?

Richard Hall

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2020
I would be grateful if anyone could help me identify appropriate replacement components to fix my pedelec.

The bike is a Viking Ego-24. This model is sometimes also called a Hopper, or a Tesco Hopper. There's a photo of it below in case it has other names and it helps to identify it. It has a 24V battery. It's about 7 years old.

The problem it has it with starting it up. As shipped, switching it on was always simply a case of pressing the On button on the handlebar controller when the key in the ignition is in the On position. This stopped working a couple of months ago.

There is a workaround I've discovered, which is pressing the On button on the handlebar controller simultaneously with switching the key in the ignition from the Off position to the On position. This usually sees it power on, though it can involve several attempts before it works, so it isn't really a lasting solution.

While the key in the ignition is in the On position, the handlebar controller occasionally flashes for a fraction of a second, even if the bike is switched off, which it never used to do.

I'm pretty certain the problem isn't with the battery or with the battery mount that includes the ignition key unit, as I have tried replacing these and the same problem manifests. There is no obvious wearing or looseness in any of the wiring. I have taken the controller unit apart, and it shows no signs of water ingress or damage. I have also tried unplugging and re-plugging in all the cords coming out of the controller box.

I can only think that the problem is either with the motor controller, or with the handlebar controller, and that replacing both should have a fair chance of solving the problem. The issue is that I'm not sure what replacement components I need to buy.

The controller itself is labelled as manufactured by Octopus. I can't find a direct replacement for it - that manufacturer appears to either no longer exist or has changed its name. I have tried emailing the UK distributor for Viking bikes, Avocet, asking if they sell (or can point me in the direction of) a replacement component but they have not responded.

The cables coming out of the controller are as shown below:

There are no shortage of listings for controllers for (24V) brushless motors and handlebar controllers on both ebay or Amazon. But that's the point where I get stuck - I don't know which if any are compatible with my bike. Would this work? Alomejor Electric Bike Brushless Controller con Waterproof LCD Display Panel 24V/36V/48V 250W/350W Controller Kit for Electric Bike Scooter: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors If that wouldn't be suitable, are any forumites aware of any controllers that can be used as direct replacements on Viking Ego bikes?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The problem is clearly with your battery connection. The first place to check is the connector between the battery and the receiver. What can happen is that the weight of the battery bouncing over bumps bends it down. Eventually, the bracket might crack and let it down even further. Check that the prongs are going all the way into the slots and that the blades in the slot are close enough together to grip the prongs.

The next place to check is the key-switch. sometimes the solder joints for the two wires look good, but are actually dry, so it's a good idea to resolder them and allow a lot of heat to make sure that the solder is properly fused with the metal contacts.

Unfortunately, as always, your photo shows all the wrong wires. Normally, the control panel would include the ignition switch, so I'm surprised that you have the red button unless I'm misunderstanding you. Please show a photo of all the wires and connectors attached to the throttle cable (if you have one) otherwise of whatever is connected to your red button, also a photo of your control panel. A photo of all the wires coming out of the motor cable would be handy too.

It looks like you have a throttle connector if you want to fit one. It's the connector sitting on your thumb, but, again, it's the wrong angle to see the wires.

It's just unbelievable that your photo of the wires doesn't show any of the things needed to sort you out. I don't think I'd be able to do it if I tried.

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Also the internals of the ignition switch can deteriorate with use, a meter on the output side may show a fault. The switch, if faulty, is relatively easy to open to gain access to the contacts to enable cleaning and adjusting for better contact but as vfr says, the most likely problem is where the battery connects in its carrier

Richard Hall

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2020
I would be grateful if anyone could help me identify appropriate replacement components to fix my pedelec.

The bike is a Viking Ego-24. This model is sometimes also called a Hopper, or a Tesco Hopper. There's a photo of it below in case it has other names and it helps to identify it. It has a 24V battery. It's about 7 years old.

View attachment 39995

The problem it has it with starting it up. As shipped, switching it on was always simply a case of pressing the On button on the handlebar controller when the key in the ignition is in the On position. This stopped working a couple of months ago.

There is a workaround I've discovered, which is pressing the On button on the handlebar controller simultaneously with switching the key in the ignition from the Off position to the On position. This usually sees it power on, though it can involve several attempts before it works, so it isn't really a lasting solution.

While the key in the ignition is in the On position, the handlebar controller occasionally flashes for a fraction of a second, even if the bike is switched off, which it never used to do.

I'm pretty certain the problem isn't with the battery or with the battery mount that includes the ignition key unit, as I have tried replacing these and the same problem manifests. There is no obvious wearing or looseness in any of the wiring. I have taken the controller unit apart, and it shows no signs of water ingress or damage. I have also tried unplugging and re-plugging in all the cords coming out of the controller box.

I can only think that the problem is either with the motor controller, or with the handlebar controller, and that replacing both should have a fair chance of solving the problem. The issue is that I'm not sure what replacement components I need to buy.

The controller itself is labelled as manufactured by Octopus. I can't find a direct replacement for it - that manufacturer appears to either no longer exist or has changed its name. I have tried emailing the UK distributor for Viking bikes, Avocet, asking if they sell (or can point me in the direction of) a replacement component but they have not responded.

View attachment 39993

The cables coming out of the controller are as shown below:

View attachment 39994

There are no shortage of listings for controllers for (24V) brushless motors and handlebar controllers on both ebay or Amazon. But that's the point where I get stuck - I don't know which if any are compatible with my bike. Would this work? Alomejor Electric Bike Brushless Controller con Waterproof LCD Display Panel 24V/36V/48V 250W/350W Controller Kit for Electric Bike Scooter: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors If that wouldn't be suitable, are any forumites aware of any controllers that can be used as direct replacements on Viking Ego bikes?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
4 April 2021

I have this problem mostly solved - so this is just a quick update to see if I can help anyone else who comes to these forums with the same problem.

I bought a replacement brushless motor controller and handlebar on/off speed assist controller on Amazon as it seemed the issue could be narrowed down to sitting with one or both of those components, given that changing the ignition and battery had made no difference. It turned out that only replacing the handlebar on/off speed assist controller was necessary. The new one could be plugged into the old motor controller and solved the problem with the bike switching on and off.

The plugs from the handlebar controller that came with the bike as shipped are shown below:

So you're looking to get a replacement handlebar controller with the same connectors.

The one I purchased was this (in case that link dies when Amazon updates its stock, I also attach a photo below of the manual which includes the part number). As you can see, it has three connectors not two. The third one is for a light and can be left unplugged if you don't have one.

I mentioned at the top that my problem was "mostly" solved. The reason for that qualification is that it is now behaving more like a two-speed power assist than a three-speed one - I can't really tell much difference between the lowest and middle power levels. However it is now turning off and on again reliably - the bike is back on the road!

I hope this helps anyone else encountering the same problem, and many thanks to the poster who helped me identify that the handlebar controller was the likely source of the issue.

Advertisers