Request for advice anonimized

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I received this as a personal message.

Could I ask you some advice please.
I sold an electric bike on facebook at Christmas second hand, I had replaced the control panel and crank twice after fitting it the wrong way round (mistakes happen).
I'm disabled with sensory neuropathy so often make the odd mistake, we're all human!

The buyer just phoned me wanting his money back, stating the battery is starting to smell and the crank is clicking.
Batteries only smell from either overcharging or shorted out in my opinion.
Crank just wants tightening up.
He's had it 4 months but says he's only used it three times (suspect).
When he collected it after I turned the crank around, he rode it home which is over 12 miles.
He's demanding his money back or he will bad mouth me on facebook, I've refused, it was a private sale, sold as seen.

My advice is I am not a lawyer, so I cannot give accurate advice.
However, in my experience you sold something four months ago, sold as seen.
It is a private sale and there is absolutely no comeback on you.
The Buyer has had four months to test. A week would have been adequate.
What ever is wrong is nothing to do with you now.
Threatening behaviour is potentially something for the police to consider.

D8ve

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
Disability or Dyslexic has no consequence to this question.
I drop stuff all the time, as I have no sensory feelings in my hands or fingers, you just drop the odd word here or there...:)

As for the question.
I have informed the police and they have instructed me to ring them the minute he turns up outside my home, as I have cctv watching my driveway and vehicle.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Six9

I didn't want to name you.
Lets see if everyone agrees. but happy the police are backing you on this.

Reactions: six9giant

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
the police will attend to prevent a breach of the peace or to deal with any CRIMINAL offence that is disclosed. They will NOT get involved with civil litigation regarding the business transaction you have described. The seller needs to seek advice either from a solicitor or perhaps trading standards IF the buyer seeks compensation or money back via the official channels..

Hope that makes sense.?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Sense to me Stumpy.
I was referring to the threats

Mar 9, 2016
Aren,tt all second hand private sales buyer beware ??
You sold item in good faith. Wether he comes back after a week, 4 months or a year its too late.

Just ignore him.

I once sold a windsurf board, bloke brought it back saying it was cracked. I foolishly took board back. Turned out board had been run over by a rescue boat ! Folk will say anything to get money back.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I refurbished our kitchen years ago and advertised a 5 year old gas boiler with freeads...''spares or repairs '' etc... Sold for cash with receipt stating ''spares or repairs, not tested and no warranty provided'' , Nearly 12 months later the buyer phoned me up to say the boiler had packed up and he had a plumber test it who said it was dangerous. Tried to take me to county court, I attended, he failed to turn up so the judge found in my favour and awarded me a cash figure against the buyer for wasting the courts time !! RESULT !!

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Four months? I wouldn't even bother replying to someone after a much shorter period.

As mentioned, threatening behaviour is something I'd report to the police for the CR number. Then I'd report to farcebook.

Ignore their messages.

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
Update.
Today whilst out delivering a fixed ebike in Lockerbie, I had another demanding message left on my house phone, after listening I re called 101 and logged another complaint.
I was advised to call 999 if he turned up causing a nuisance, at 3:15pm he banged on my door demanding his money back, I was told by the police not to open the door to him, so I shouted no refund from me period.
He kept banging my door, shouting you have to come out sometime and I'll be here waiting.
Police were called and he was sent away with a severe warning, stay away and stop harassing me.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Update.
Today whilst out delivering a fixed ebike in Lockerbie, I had another demanding message left on my house phone, after listening I re called 101 and logged another complaint.
I was advised to call 999 if he turned up causing a nuisance, at 3:15pm he banged on my door demanding his money back, I was told by the police not to open the door to him, so I shouted no refund from me period.
He kept banging my door, shouting you have to come out sometime and I'll be here waiting.
Police were called and he was sent away with a severe warning, stay away and stop harassing me.
poor response from the police. He should been dealt with positively as a potential offence has been committed under the Prevention From Harassment Act 1997 or Conduct Likely to cause a breach of the peace....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
was he issued with a Harrasment advice / Warning notice ?

If his actions continue and his actions cause you to suffer'' harassment , alarm and/or distress'' ( THATS any ACTION / BEHAVIOUR then re-contact the police...He MAY be liable to arrest / and or/ prosecution

:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just kick his head in lol he soon bugger off you whip out a bb bat ;)

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
was he issued with a Harrasment advice / Warning notice ?

If his actions continue and his actions cause you to suffer'' harassment , alarm and/or distress'' ( THATS any ACTION / BEHAVIOUR then re-contact the police...He MAY be liable to arrest / and or/ prosecution

:)
Yes! He was also warned that he was liable to arrest if he posted any slanderous offensive comments on any Facebook page or group.

Reactions: stumpy150