respoking & opening 8fun hub motor

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
Hi

im looking into having my befang 8fun hub spoked into my mtb original wheel & getting the hub casing sulphuric anodised black (i work for the metal finishing company) is it possible to remove all of the electrics from the hub motor to do this & is there any recommendations on a company who could install my hub motor in my original 26" wheel. the reason for this change is my original rims are black & thinner & the hub motor was pre-installed in a wider ali coloured rim from sunlova (ebay).
any advise is much appreciated!

jason

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The whole core can be withdrawn from the hub shell. To do that, remove the six screws that hold on the side plate of the hub, then remove the nut on the spindle on the opposite side that holds the core in place. Give a sharp tap with a hammer onto the spindle end to break the side plate seal onto the hub, then withdraw the side plate with it's bearing. Finally withdraw the motor core, taking care to recover any shims that are on the inner side of the spindle and which may be stuck to the inner bearing end.

Inside the hubshell you'll see the toothed plastic gear rack, so remove the screws that hold that into the hub shell so that the rack can be prised out of the shell. Finally press out both bearings from the hubshell and side plate.

If you use tapping force rather than pressing to remove the bearings you could damage them and need to fit new ones. Likewise removing the plastic gear rack from the hub may damage it so that it would need to be renewed then. If all this deters you, you could use a heatproof lacquer to achieve a black finish like the exhaust paints from someone like Frosts.

Many members have found SJS to be a very reliable wheel builder with these motors.

Here's some photos of the Bafang insides to help you:

Last edited:

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description. i also need to source a company that can respoke this hub into my original wheel, idealy locally in essex.

thanks
jason

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description. i also need to source a company that can respoke this hub into my original wheel, idealy locally in essex.

thanks
jason
You really need someone who knows what they are doing with electric hub wheels...SJS are really good for this. my wheel failed and they rebuilt it on a Rhyno rim and it was bomb proof until I sold it over 14 months later. others on here have used SJS as well, just post them the bits

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yep, they did a first class job on mine and know the correct spoke pattern and size to use....worth the cost IMHO

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
NRG

do you have a rough estimate of what you paid to have a wheel rebuilt.

thanks
jason

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
£96 all in, that's shipping, VAT, Rhyno rim, spokes, rim tape and labour. Turn around was within 5 days if I recall correctly. First class job, wheel was spot on and has remained true....

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
ive sent an email to SJS to find out if i can send them my original front rim & get them to rebuild the wheel with black spokes + motor or if not have them supply the rim & spokes. i cant wait to see it all black, as the wheels should look!
will keep you updated!

jay

jayuk

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2010
spoke size & guage?

ive had an email back saying they can do it & supply the rim & spokes but are unsure if they can source black spokes the correct size until they see the hub motor, does anyone on here have any idea of the spoke size used to lace an 8fun hub motor (disk brake version) with a 26" wheel. i would rather find out if they can source them before i take the wheel apart rather than when i send them just the motor.

any help with this is much appreciated

thanks in advance jason

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
ive had an email back saying they can do it & supply the rim & spokes but are unsure if they can source black spokes the correct size until they see the hub motor, does anyone on here have any idea of the spoke size used to lace an 8fun hub motor (disk brake version) with a 26" wheel. i would rather find out if they can source them before i take the wheel apart rather than when i send them just the motor.

any help with this is much appreciated

thanks in advance jason
Use a spke wrench and see what size fits, it's probably 13g which is bigger than normal. I'm waiting for SJS to send my new wheel back at the moment. They can fit collars to the hub to take it down to 14g but they may not have them in black.