Review Riese and Mueller Tinker experience

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
I took delivery of a Tinker in January. With the improved weather I now have enough experience to make it worthwhile to share with anyone contemplating purchasing a Tinker. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.

Me
Tall. Very heavy (at beginning of year). Occasional cyclist aiming to become a more frequent but casual cyclist.

Which bike?
My real desire was a folding bike for easy transportation by car or small boat. My goals were quality, good range, crank drive so the motor could benefit from the gears to transport my bulk, and upright cycling position. My heart was firmly set on a Tern Vektron. At this time I had read about and dismissed the idea of a Tinker. It didn’t fold and it was very expensive. When the new Vektron, with the sloping battery, was released, I paid a visit to a bike shop to see it. Alas I was too heavy for it, which I knew, but I had hoped that the specifications were overly cautious and it would be OK. Even if I lost weight, a big challenge, I would not be able to carry any additional luggage load as my body weight alone would be at the frame limit. I was also not keen on the exposed and low hanging derailleur. I looked at many folders and none would take my weight. Instead I looked at compact bikes and returned to investigate the Tinker.

Why Tinker?
Of course it looks gorgeous. Your eyes can sense the quality. As you would expect from most owners, I will strongly support my purchase decision. It is love. It is delight. I am very happy. After very disciplined eating during January to March I am actually now significantly lighter and could take to a Vektron. In the meantime I have learned why the Tinker is, after all, a better choice for me:

PLUS POINTS

Compact - very quick to fold down handle bars and saddle to make a low profile for storing or transporting. It fits the small spaces where I had thought only a folder would go. That said, it still takes a good amount more space than a folder but it meets my needs.

Motor - I appreciate that the Bosch CX motor is slightly less economical than its junior brothers and sisters, and reportedly slightly noisier. But it is the right choice for me. Why R&M chose the CX for a compact bike I do not know but it is the right choice as far as I am concerned. I recently went to a rendezvous first by train and then onwards on a modest 14 mile round trip by bike. Leaving the railway station I saw, for first time, Streatley Hill ahead of me. This is a 12-18% gradient and stays at this gradient for 0.9km. For comparison, the steepest San Francisco hill is 21%. At the start of my day, on the flat, the indicated range was 66 miles in eco mode. As Tinker and I climbed this serious hill in turbo mode the indicated range dropped to 19 miles. But it went well. By the end of day it returned to 44 miles. Being able to take on hills, unplanned and without stress, is exactly why I wanted a pedelec and the CX for me showed its form. I am very happy with the CX and I would never describe it as noisy or even slightly noise. It’s barely noticeable most of the time. Having friends with GoCycle experience, although great bike I prefer the simpler Bosch controls to the phone-based controls of the GoCycle. For those considering GoCycle, especially the new easy folding version, I will share a brief experience of Tinker / CX vs. GoCycle hill performance. It seems to me that the GoCycle hub motor has somewhat lower torque than the CX. While I was proceeding gently up a steep hill on my Tinker, a fellow and somewhat lighter rider on a GoCycle overtook me at speed as they were ‘going for it’. So it you want to match a Tinker with a GoCycle in a group, no problem at all.

Riding position and stability - I always enjoyed Dutch-style upright riding and the Tinker delivers just that, even though I am a tall person. Riding is very comfortable. I will add that the supplied saddle is the most comfortable I have ever experienced as a casual rider. A bonus is the palm support on each handle bar that reduces pressure on your hands to a minimum. It is a very comfortable ride indeed, aided by the front suspension and thud buster seat post. If you are the sort that likes to whistle happily while riding in the sunshine, you will like the Tinker. Underway, even at speed downhill, the bike is very stable and reassuring. It does not feel to me that the small wheels compromise the ride.

Stay-clean transmission - the combination of the belt drive, instead of chain, and the sealed Enviolo / Nuvinci constantly variable gearing means no oil marks on car or boat or on me. I also learn that the belt will last longer than a chain (I had thought chains lasted forever…). With the 20 inch wheels, the internal hub ‘gearing’ means excellent ground clearance. Everything is clean and will not suffer in sea air.

Brakes - my first experience of disk brakes. They are so good. I imagine all bikes with disk brakes will give the same good feelings.

Rack - the included Racktime rack is brilliant. I have both pannier and box attachments and I readily use them as they are so easy to attach. My large feet clear both when pedaling. The click on / click off mechanism makes the attachments very usable.

Lights - integrated and turned on/off using the control panel. Common in the pedelec world I am sure but still much appreciated. The bike becomes jump on and go.

Miscellaneous - 1. I like the way that the kickstand is well away from the cranks. No more pushing your bike when the stand is down only to have it jam against the pedals. 2. Seat is easily adjusted. 3. Integrated lock on back wheel for short stops where theft risk is minimal. 4. Constantly variable Enviolo ‘gear’ is so simple to use - I soon adapted to it. Not too stiff as I have read elsewhere. 5. Puncture resistant tyres. 6. Permanent mud guards front and back.

MINUS POINTS

Not a lot really. 1. Price, though this is the last bike I intend to buy so was happy to invest. 2. On my particular bike, the front mudguard looks like it bent a little in transit. I will get it sorted at next service. 3. Silent at first, a small click has developed around the front wheel. I think it might be the mudguard fitting which has an usual key so I cannot tighten it. To be fixed at service. 4. Presta valve, back to my youth, but adapters are cheap. 5. Theft - for all pedelecs, a risk always on my mind. I have left the bike in the wild with two gold sold secure locks and I still have the bike.

A TIP - PHONE MOUNT

The handlebars are great but they are tapered and there is not much space to place a phone mount or mounts that expect a circular handlebar. One solution is to combine a Morpheus Labs M4s case with a RAM Mount fitting. The Morpheus system uses a very well engineered, very secure magnetic twist lock. What to order:
  • “Morpheus Labs M4s case (bike mount is not included)” - This is a phone case with magnetic twist lock back.
  • “Morpheus Labs M4s mount with RAM Ball-Adapter” - This is a magnetic connector to the case, with an attached ball
  • “RAM 1 x U-Bolt Base, 1.25" OD max, 1" ball (stainless u-bolt) (RAM-B-231-1)” - This is a U-bolt that attaches a ball to your tapering handlebars
  • “RAM 1 x Composite Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball (RAP-B-201-A)” - This is a short clamp to join the two balls
Result: a compact mount for your phone with highly adjustable tilt and direction.

Next steps
I will change the pedals, perfectly good, to folding pedals to take up less space.

Conclusion
The more I think about it, the more I realise that Tinker, perhaps uniquely, ticks all the boxes for my requirements. It is a great combination.
Compact + powerful crank motor + high capacity battery + upright comfortable riding + belt drive + sealed constantly variable gearing + versatile rack + great ride + top quality

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Welcome to the forum.
Glad you're loving your new Tinker.
I recently test rode a lot of different bikes, and for me, the Riese & Mullers were a cut above, I'm sure you'll get many years great service from it.

ptq

Just Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Eltham North
Thank you for posting a report on your new Tinker. While I have been looking for a folding bike that would suit my requirements, I would like to think the Tinker would suit me even though it is not a folding bike. I want to occasionally transport my bike in my car or caravan. So the issue for me is how compact it can be when the bars are turned and folded down and the saddle lowered? Or, to put it another way, what are the internal dimensions of the minimum sized theoretical "box" that would contain a Tinker? I expect folding pedals would help in this regard.

Robin Atkinson

Just Joined
Jul 16, 2019
The Tinker is almost as long as a normal bike. It has a powerful and steady ride. I felt safe.
If you need to lift it you will have to be very strong, I nearly toppled over backwards trying to lift it up 4 steps but I am 77.
I expect that the GoCycle GX will be my choice as it is 8Kg lighter but if you can handle the Tinkers weight and length
it is a fabulous bike.

Annemarie c

Just Joined
May 10, 2021
Thanks for this info RetiredandRolling. I am currently looking at a Tinker, not because I want a small folding bike but am looking to replace my Kahlkoff with something a bit easier to lift and generally manage. I'm a bit unsure of the jump down to 20 inch wheels. I'm on 26 inch wheels now and am 164cm and slight build. Any thoughts on whether the small wheels are going to feel more unstable in the city in slick rainy and windy British weather?!

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
Hi Annemarie, I moved from 26” mountain bike wheels on my regular bike to the Tinker and 20” wheels. I have found the Tinker to be very stable indeed, even at 25+ mph going downhill. Last weekend I was going down a steepish muddy track. I’m quite heavy and this makes the wheels, I believe, more likely to slip. Despite caution on a few sections, there was no instability, just an occasional briefest of skids. These were quite testing conditions.

OK I confess I am a bit biased as I love my Tinker. The stability is, for a small frame with small wheels, one of the most rewarding aspects. I don’t venture out in the rain often but when I am caught out there is no problem on the wet roads. I do understand your concern though. About a year ago I was on a bike tour on holiday, on a non-electric full size bike. A thunderstorm kicked off and in seconds I was sprawled over the road nursing a gashed knee.

On the subject stability, I recently bought a 12.5 Kg sack of bird seed. It fitted nicely in my Racktime box on my Racktime rack. Despite the weight on the back, the ride was as stable as usual. Very satisfying. Pre-COVID, I frequently loaded my panniers to capacity at the supermarket and never had a problem with stability during the ride home.

I would not describe the bike as easy to lift, even wth the battery removed, but I manage.

if you have any further questions do let me know.

Annemarie c

Just Joined
May 10, 2021
That's really helpful thanks. I have been used to riding my Kahlkoff through all sorts of weather in the rain/sleet and wind and while it is very stable it is also really just too heavy to manage when having to make quick decisions. I will have another go on the Tinker. It's quite expensive investment - wish they would loan it to you!

RetiredAndRolling

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2019
RG24
A loan is possible. Do ask. I needed the Tinker to fit through a particular gap and into a confined space. Although I bought my bike from Oxford, the nearest dealership at the time, the supplier’s Bristol branch had one in stock and kindly loaned it to me for the weekend so I could try it. If you are considering purchasing a second hand Tinker, the seller might also oblige. I really think any purchase of this magnitude merits a good hands-on test. Happy choosing!

ChiKen

Just Joined
Apr 12, 2021
Thanks Retiredandrolling!

We purchased two Tinkers from elctrc in Brighton and are thrilled with our purchases.

Originally considered the much cheaper Cube Compact Hybrid Sport because we have severe space restrictions for storage. So pleased we upgraded to the tinkers - Front and Seat Post suspension, belt rather than chain and much more adjustable riding position.

I have found your review matches our experience and I am so grateful for your phone mount suggestions - I have just ordered the components you suggested (though the Tigra FitClic seems to be the new name of the Morpheus mount you mention).

Reactions: RetiredAndRolling