Right to repair law & Bosch motors

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Wondering if the new law which I believe will come into force this summer will effect the repair of Bosch motors ?? any thoughts

Reactions: budsy
D

Deleted member 33385

I was excited about this new repair law too, but it appears to only apply to TVs and white goods. If someone made an ebike out of a brand new TV and washing machine, they'd be certain of 10 years of spare parts.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Wondering if the new law which I believe will come into force this summer will effect the repair of Bosch motors ?? any thoughts
Personally i dont know ..but someone sure shall let u know on here very soon hopefully ..I aint buying until i know as is a Bosch motor on bike im contemplating in getting .. but im waiting as yet and never been on my old non e bike for a year now and do want an elec bike for more comfort and easier on the hills as feeling it last i was on bike ..Hopeful you shall get answer to this soon .. one i was looking at is bafang motor but i think Woosh in UK would be fine for this one https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambla

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Thanks for the replies, didn't know it was restricted to certain goods. I have a Bosch powered bike but it still has 14 months of warranty to run so maybe e bikes will be included by then :D

Reactions: pentiumofborg

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Bosch have always been among the best for parts supply (for my white goods) even without EU laws. That',s how come I have so Many of their products.

Reactions: Amoto65

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Bosch have always been among the best for parts supply (for my white goods) even without EU laws. That',s how come I have so Many of their products.
I agree on the white goods, but parts supply for Bosch e-bike systems are a very different matter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The consumer has more rights on White goods then ebikes, the ebike legislation for likes of Bosh etc needs shaking up. Two year warranty on an item that costs far more then White goods is just not good enough, Bosh have not yet ever had any of my money and won't do.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch do not sell any motor parts bar the right hand side service kit if any other part or bearing has failed peter is your only option.

what you cant fix yet is the motor controllers as if water does get in it shorts the board and game over as bosch dont sell them to anyone!

same as the bms if that goes wrong you cant replace them or use any other battery because the bms and controller use a can bus system to talk to each other.

as long as it is not a data chip then everything else could be replaced but with no schematic makes finding the fault pretty hard.

this is using a 3-5v batt to test the bms if it has a fault or not.

now why does bosch not coat the pcb in this to stop shorts in the first place £££££££££ ;)

Reactions: stevenatleven

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
bosch do not sell any motor parts bar the right hand side service kit if any other part or bearing has failed peter is your only option.

what you cant fix yet is the motor controllers as if water does get in it shorts the board and game over as bosch dont sell them to anyone!

same as the bms if that goes wrong you cant replace them or use any other battery because the bms and controller use a can bus system to talk to each other.

as long as it is not a data chip then everything else could be replaced but with no schematic makes finding the fault pretty hard.

this is using a 3-5v batt to test the bms if it has a fault or not.

now why does bosch not coat the pcb in this to stop shorts in the first place £££££££££ ;)
View attachment 41375
Quite frankly, this absolutely unnecessary 'locking in' of electronics via Canbus smacks of profiteering, protectionism, restraint of trade and has a whiff of the Volkswagen scandal that also misused electronics.
Electronics should be there to benefit mankind, not ensure fat profits for greedy manufacturers.
Contrast the open Chinese model with the German model and refuse all German goods.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it is in everything these days i blame apple! just look at Mobil phones my nokia 3310 still works ;)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
New York may soon be the first state to pass a "Right to repair" law. Let's hope consumer demand lights a fire under the arses of legislators on this side of the pond! :mad:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
The right to repair needs to be combined with reasonable spares costs. Also would Bosch be forced to stop producing highly proprietary products. Maybe ebikes where you could replace the battery pack with cheaper but fully certified and safe third party battery packs? Their whole business model seems to be making a product with short term reliability and extracting the maximum money from their customers. They would have to re-design their products to comply with such a law. If you damage the frame of the bike on some ebikes you can just about buy any frame even secondhand for very little money but a typical Bosch powered ebike might cost £2k or more just for a replacement frame because they are designed purely for that motor. I personally can't see how such bikes will ever be anything other than money pits.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike vision make 3rd party batts but are in Germany and do borsch Yamaha and Panasonic but there not cheap.

liofit can recell the batts but use there can bus programming so if you cut power to the bms the pack will die and also in Germany.

my batts are 6 and 8 years old now and still work but no one over here has cracked the code yet but it can be done.

just because you pay top dollar for something does not mean it wont have problems and take months to fix on top.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I personally can't see how such bikes will ever be anything other than money pits.
Motorised bicycles will always be far less reliable than dedicated purpose designd motor vehicles such as Mopeds. That is unavoidable for weight and bulk reasons.

So if choosing to use a motorised bicycle one has two choices:

1) A bitza, whether manufacturer supplied as such or home put together, using a simple ordinary bicycle with a friction drive, hub or bottom bracket mounted motor and clip on battery pack. Cheap to repair.

2) One using a specially built frame to integrate a dedicated crank motor and possibly integrating the battery as well. Expensive to repair.

Number 2 could be made far more reliable and long lasting but only at the cost of so much more weight etc that one would never want to pedal it and the current legal power limits would be insufficient. In other words it would end up more like the Autocycles of the 1930s and '40s or probably even heavier and bulkier:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I was excited about this new repair law too, but it appears to only apply to TVs and white goods. If someone made an ebike out of a brand new TV and washing machine, they'd be certain of 10 years of spare parts.
At a slight tangent:

'He used washing machine bearings when standard bike bearings were unsuitable...'

Think how quick he could have been with an extra 250W. :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
At a slight tangent:

'He used washing machine bearings when standard bike bearings were unsuitable...'

Are escooters safer than riding like this?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Ray Winder

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
North Yorks
At a slight tangent:

And 1400 spin speed

• :D