RIP Kryptonite Lock

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
My not so old faithful Kryptonite cable lock has given up the ghost. The key was a little stiff last night, so I gave it a good spraying and left it soaking overnight in silicon lubricant.

Come this morning, pleased with my previous night's efforts, the blooming thing wouldn't lock up at all, so it's obviously an internal failure.

So I'm in the market for a new lockeroonie.

I've never been totally sold on a cable lock, mainly because of its constant efforts to curl back up when you don't want it to.

The bike's exposed to the elements when locked up at work, but is in plain sight of reception and security staff, and literally within ten feet of a permanently crewed security desk.

Any lock recommendations please? I'm considering an Acus Granit D lock with a supplementary cable loop. Something akin to this:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-locks/bike-locks/abus-granit-53-d-lock-combo-pack
but I'm open to other suggestions for a better all round jobbie. Max £70 or thereabouts.

Ta in anticipation.

Gaz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm open to other suggestions for a better all round jobbie. Max £70 or thereabouts.

Ta in anticipation.

Gaz
I got an Abus Bordo Centium Chain Lock - for less than £70 (It was £45 now I have checked). It is quite good for my purposes as, most of the time I don't need it! But it is neatly secured ready for when I do. Just realised, mine is the limited edition in wooden box!

• Useful
Reactions: Gaz

pt36

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 26, 2018
I now use Onguard mastiff 8120
from a seller on Amazon thru the rear wheel plus a £10 alarmed padlock thru the front disc.

Reactions: theloafer

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I have Kryptonite and Master D locks, dont fully trust either exposed to poor weather so lube locks with chain oil (sprays dont seem to help maintain these things imo / ime ) but the Master has done me well, and pretty cheap from PlanetX.

The two Kryptonites I have (Evo 4 D and Evo 4 90cm) both feel a bit off with locking so I treat em gentle. Got a couple of Abus locks from my motor bike days and they are nice pieces of kit