Riverside 500e

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Hi
I have a Riverside 500e which I purchased Feb this year. It has only done 450 miles. The bottom bracket has developed an annoying click, also about 2mm play at the end of the crank. Any other owners of this model with the same problem.
Fortunately the bike is under warranty, however i don't want to have to change the bottom bracket every 500 miles or so. It has an integral torque sensor £60 a pop.
Otherwise the bike has been a pleasant experience so far.
Thanks

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
I have the same bike. Not had any problems so far (touch wood) I’m sure that the torque sensor would be covered by warranty if damaged through wear and tear. Best speak with decathlon to be sure.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The TS BB is an integral part of the electronics fitted so it should be covered under warranty as is the drive whether mid or hub.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
I have the same bike. Not had any problems so far (touch wood) I’m sure that the torque sensor would be covered by warranty if damaged through wear and tear. Best speak with decathlon to be sure.
How long have you had yours
Thanks for the reply.
Spoke to decathlon, assured me it would be covered by warranty. Seemed evasive when I asked if this was a common problem. Just don't want a reoccurring problem every few hundred miles. Was advised that I could return the bike as I am inside the 365 day return policy. Glad to hear yours is ok, how many miles on the bike?
Thanks again
Steve

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
The TS BB is an integral part of the electronics fitted so it should be covered under warranty as is the drive whether mid or hub.
Thanks for the reply
Decathlon assure me it's covered as I expected, Seemed evasive when I asked if this was a common problem. I was also informed that I could return the bike within the 365 day policy if i have lost confidence in the product. Can't be fairer than that.
May revisit the Woosh Gran Camino
Thanks again

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
How long have you had yours

Thanks for the reply.
Spoke to decathlon, assured me it would be covered by warranty. Seemed evasive when I asked if this was a common problem. Just don't want a reoccurring problem every few hundred miles. Was advised that I could return the bike as I am inside the 365 day return policy. Glad to hear yours is ok, how many miles on the bike?
Thanks again
Steve
That’s great news then... I’m delighted with mine, but it’s nice to know that I’m covered for all eventualities.. oh, and I’ve only done 155 miles so far.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes the Decathlon return policy is superb a 365 day money back guarantee.

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
That sounds great, but surely there is a financial penalty after returning the bike after 450 miles ?
Not sure, it wasn't mentioned in my telephone conversation with Decathlon yesterday. Will let you know as I will be returning bike this evening. If there is a heavy penalty might be worth getting it fixed under warranty and selling it. The bike is as new immaculate and unmarked with rack and mudguards. The last straw for me was being told to book an e bike diagnostic on line, nothing available at any branch at any time and unable to book over the phone. Why an electronic diagnostic is required for a simple mechanical BB failure is beyond my reasoning. Perhaps I am not bright enough to be a Decathlon customer. Having said that I do like the look of the est900.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That sounds great, but surely there is a financial penalty after returning the bike after 450 miles ?
Not as far as we know, a forum user over a year ago used the money back offer and got his money refunded. Following several months of use he decided the bike wasn't for him and returned it.

Here is the thread link.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not sure, it wasn't mentioned in my telephone conversation with Decathlon yesterday. Will let you know as I will be returning bike this evening. If there is a heavy penalty might be worth getting it fixed under warranty and selling it. The bike is as new immaculate and unmarked with rack and mudguards. The last straw for me was being told to book an e bike diagnostic on line, nothing available at any branch at any time and unable to book over the phone. Why an electronic diagnostic is required for a simple mechanical BB failure is beyond my reasoning. Perhaps I am not bright enough to be a Decathlon customer. Having said that I do like the look of the est900.
The BB is a torque sensor unit so it is wired and sends electronic signals to the controller so that is the reason for the diagnostic test. Although mechanical they are also electronic.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Our local decathlon is still being affected by COVID-19 measures, last time I was there a few weeks ago, they were still implementing a queuing system and limiting number of people in store, this might explain difficulty in getting a booking!

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
The BB is a torque sensor unit so it is wired and sends electronic signals to the controller so that is the reason for the diagnostic test. Although mechanical they are also electronic.
Yes I understand, controller is responding perfectly to the TS, it's just the bearings that are knackered. Incedently cleaned the bike prior to return and noticed that the bottom bracket shell has a large aperture underneath, can see BB. Looks like a regular square taper cartridge BB with cable coming from the torque sensor imbeded within. I would assume water has ingressed into the BB casing and shagged the bearing. This has jogged my an ancient memory, I remember reading somewhere that owners of Decathlon EST 500 have had water ingress problems, same TS BB and controller. Sound like a design fault that could cost me a BB TS every six months.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BB likely will be changed under warranty ( a bit of a nuisance ) after only 6 months, one will need to ask the question of them of how long the new part is warrantied for and then if it fails again keep going back for a new one (if you can be bothered).

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
The BB likely will be changed under warranty ( a bit of a nuisance ) after only 6 months, one will need to ask the question of them of how long the new part is warrantied for and then if it fails again keep going back for a new one (if you can be bothered).

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Returned bike to Decathlon, received a full refund for the bike and accessories almost no questions asked after a quick check over by a tech guy. Unbelievably good service, hats of to this side of the business. Guy in the worship thinks a new model Riverside with crank drive motor will be out in the next few months. Oh well of to Woosh we go

Steve J H

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2019
ROMFORD
Looking for a replacement bike not as easy as I thought. Tried the Gran Camino at Woosh today, unfortunately to small in the frame. Also having been spoilt with a good torque sensor any thing else seems unmeasured and disproportionate , but that's just personal preference. Any recommendations for large hybrid with TS, would like to keep within £1800 if poss. Looking around has made me realize that
Decathlon bikes are exceptional value.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Looking for a replacement bike not as easy as I thought. Tried the Gran Camino at Woosh today, unfortunately to small in the frame. Also having been spoilt with a good torque sensor any thing else seems unmeasured and disproportionate , but that's just personal preference. Any recommendations for large hybrid with TS, would like to keep within £1800 if poss. Looking around has made me realize that
Decathlon bikes are exceptional value.
For that price how about the est900? They have the XL version in stock online!