Road bikes

Bullet

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2020
Cheshire
Is it just me or do others think that the cycling position of racing bikes looks very uncomfortable.
I'm a sit up and beg man meself like

Reactions: mike killay

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Very uncomfortable for me too (especially the crick in the neck from trying to look forwards rather than down), but it is much more efficient at speed and people get used to anything. When I was young I was very happy with it; or at least with a traditional touring position.

Reactions: Bullet

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Ah well You're both WRONG!
The best position is the recumbent one, you wouldn't watch the telly, sit at a desk, or drive hunched up and doubled over?
Sure riding recumbent can take a little more effort at first, but it's like when you first started cycling it wasn't easy then.
Riding recumbents, you are fully supported, your neck arms and shoulders are relaxed, and apart from a lower position, you r view around is increased.
So I say lie back & think of England, if you want an easy ride!
There are of course other viewpoints,but staring at the front tyre isn't one of them.

Reactions: JulesCT

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
I think road bike positions are generally fine. What I can't understand is people who have the nose of the saddle sticking upwards! I can't even have my saddle level because I would suffer crippling attacks of NNS**. I always set my saddles slightly nose down. Like this...

Fettled CAAD5.jpg

(Don't worry, I have matching black tyres now!)

** NNS = Numb Nuts Syndrome

Advertisers