Rockshox rear axle keeps coming loose

Arsemyth

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2019
I have a Trek Powerfly 5 (2018 model). Recently the rear Rockshox axle has been working completely loose. If I tighten it up as recommended , ie, wind it up until it's tight, back it off half a turn and then push the lever over, then after a few miles on our forest tracks it works loose. If I over tighten it, then the rear wheel binds.

Has anyone had the same experience, and if so, how was it fixed?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Arsemyth

Jun 15, 2019
I'm thinking along the same lines. The front axle lever had worked itself so loose that it wouldn't engage when I flipped the lever over. This has now been adjusted and is now working ok at the moment, but for how long....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would just get rid of them esp if you ride hard off road as my rear one has a spring inside it and when that goes it dont take much for it to come loose and could damage the frame where the axle threads in to.

plus it just looks better ;)DSC_0030.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get these if you want color options but there 3x the price.

Arsemyth

Jun 15, 2019
Could this have been caused by previous overtightening of the QR clamp, and consequent wear on the bearings? A few weeks ago I noticed that the bearings had become quite loose. I've adjusted them and all is well again at the moment, but I'm wondering if I need to change the bearings

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As long as the wheel spins freely and sounds OK, the bearings are probably OK.

It's difficult to comment without knowing what you have on your axle, but it sounds to me like you didn’t tighten the locknut properly that locks the bearing adjuster nut.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
QR wheel clamps can't come loose on their own. It sounds to me like it's what's on the axle that's coming loose, like whatever holds the bearings in.
With bearings in mind , my thoughts were how is the wheel binding up from tightening the axle ,
This indicates that theres an issue with the hub somewhere as you shouldn't have that much influence over bearing adjustment / binding by tightening up an axle .

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Could this have been caused by previous overtightening of the QR clamp, and consequent wear on the bearings?
There should be a centre section between the bearing that acts basically as a preload
if you have winched the axle up and squashed this slightly you may have effected the bearing adjustment
What hubs are you running or do you know if its running sealed bearings or separate balls ?

Related Articles

Advertisers