Ronseal diamond hard paint.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got this devil's brew on the steps at the rear of my house, I've been trying to remove it for days.
I've tried: Nitromors, some paint remover from screwfix and even sanding it off.
It's a right pain. Has anyone got any ideas of how to remove it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Failing finding an effective solvent and if stone steps, perhaps using a blowlamp to char it will then allow sanding to remove the burnt remains.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm prepared to try anything. :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
They always boast that it does what is says on the tin.
See what it doesn't say that it will do and try that.

One of their varnishes says waterproof within an hour, it didn't say that it would year on year and it didn't.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
See how it advises to clean the brushes and use that. If not the blowlamp idea followed by a high power jetwash.
Tony

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Failing finding an effective solvent and if stone steps, perhaps using a blowlamp to char it will then allow sanding to remove the burnt remains.
That's a reasonably good plan, just don't overheat in one spot for too long as the heat can easily crack stone or concrete, also if oil based it can drive the resulting stain right into the stone, never to be removed!.
I've a fair bit of experience of stuff like that as I used to renovate stonework, memorials and monuments etc., If you post a good quality photo I (or someone else) may be able to advise further.

Dave.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Try oven cleaner - usual disclaimers apply. Paint stripper ain't what it used to be, but some oven cleaners are still very caustic.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Look on ebay for some genuine old-fashioned paint stripper - dichloromethane. You can buy it by the litre or less.
It's what Nitromors used to contain before it was made safe and useless by EU edict.

Advertisers