Run motor with hobby BLDC-controller

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Today I had to do some advanced fault finding. And since I haven't got my diagnostic unit yet I had to improvise a little. Only to see if it was the motor or the controller that didn't work.

So.... as a R/C flyer I thought on of these BLDC-controllers should work as well. So I just took my helicopter, disconnected the little (3.3kW) motor and connected straight to the motor cables. Connected a 6S LiPo (24V). And just tried! :) I have standard helicopter settings in the speed controller, governered (by the power output and control input). Worked really good, I had the wheel of the ground to make it go easy.

_5130001.jpg _5130005.jpg

Here is a photo of the speed controller. This is one of good quality, a cheaper one for testing purposes will be bought, this one can handle 90A continous power also, quite overkill for most ebikes :) (this unit is like 5cm long, can't understand why these ebike controllers are so big).

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are several reasons, technology: RC motors have high KV number, cost: e-bike controllers tend to cost less because the market is more cost sensitive, voltage: e-bike controllers are optimized to operate at higher voltage 6S to 13S, number of MOSFETs, e-bike controllers have 6/9/12 FETs to handle low speed motors. RC ESCs are just about suitable for crank drive motors, not for geared hubs or direct drives.

Reactions: Deere John

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
I think it's mostly the kv (the high RPM) that makes it so powerful, and the controllers might be that small because they are optimized on a small range of use (70-100% pwm duty cycle only as one example), and also like you say, more exponsive, and also engineered to be light/small.

There are many cases with direct drive, fixed wings have that and I have seen helicopters with direct drive also, they just need a low kv motor.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
direct drive e-bike motors have KV in the region of 7 to 10, helicopter motors have KV in the region of 1000 to 1500.
At low speed, motors are naturally less efficient. The design of e-bike motors needs to be very much more advanced to minimize loss of efficiency.

Reactions: Deere John

Advertisers