S Pedelec with SRAM dual drive

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
OK - thinking again and lost the plot of who is making what... what are the options for the above ? Preferably not a Bosch unless unavoidable. Decent battery capacity essential. Open to options on hybrid vs MTB.

Allan_B

Just Joined
May 11, 2014
Hi. I only know of two which are available, both are Bosch drive units. The Haibike xDuro Trekking SL and also the Hercules Robert 27 Pro which you would have to import from Germany but offers a considerable cost saving (try eBay).
Both bikes have SRAM dual drive 3 x 9 = 27 gears and are nearly identical in their other specifications.

Reactions: 103Alex1

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks Allan_B ... is this the one ?

http://www.hercules-bikes.de/de/Hercules-Ebikes-und-Fahrraeder-im-Detail-160,204,20486,detail.html

I'm interested in trying a 350W S-Pedelec with the SRAM Dual Drive - most likely wouldn't buy another 250W crank drive eBike as what I already have will do for a few years yet.

I'm no fan of Nuvinci, Rohloff-equipped eBikes are beyond my meagre means and as power goes up the Alfine-11 isn't such a good match. The SRAM-dual is the only technology at the moment which has my attention, but not in a 250W.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not surprised at this in pedicab use where the lowest gears will come into play. The combination of the largest rear sprocket driven by a quite small chainwheel will result in the torque limits of hub gears being exceeded. True of all makes and why Shimano won't make rear sprockets over 24 teeth for their hub gears and have rules on the chainwheel to rear sprocket size ratios.

I'd be nervous about putting motor drive through a Dualdrive if very low gear use is contemplated, especially if a higher power crank unit.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Back to the drawing board then by the looks of it ! My bank balance has just breathed a HUGE sigh of relief

Allan_B

Just Joined
May 11, 2014
Yes, but it's available at Eu 1898 elsewhere (plus shipping). Having bought one recently I haven't had any problems yet, although the Dual drive element isn't necessary for where I live (Manchester), it was bought to cater for future touring use so early days yet. It's easily deresticted.
As far as 350W availability goes again you'd need to import and you'd be restricted to a Haibike such as http://www.elektrofahrrad-einfach.de/products/Elektrofahrraeder/Haibike-Xduro-Trekking-S-28-2014.html

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
I agree with Alex, I've had the same machine since the start of the year. I can't recommend it enough.

Advertisers