Sad News...80 year old pedelecer killed.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Sad to say an 80 year old pedelecer was killed in a collision with a bus today near Durham City.
My condolences go out to his family.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Wonder what happened there? The bike looks okay as far as you can tell from the picture, except maybe the back mudguard is slightly distorted. It looks like perhaps the bus ran into the back of him and collected him on the lower corner of the windscreen. I can’t see if there is a mirror on the bike. But it’s traffic coming up on me like that I always watch out for.

When I think back to the years I was riding road bikes without mirrors and trusting my life to the drivers behind me….

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The saddle is twisted hard over to the right and there's mud across the road behind the bus. Just beyond the police car there's more mud on the approach side of the road and what looks like tearing of the grass verge.

My guess from those is that with hearing the bus coming up behind just after a bend, he's pulled in too far and caught the edge of the rough grass verge, throwing him off and the bus perhaps colliding with him. Either that or just possibly the bus coming around the bend too fast and striking his rear wheel and knocking him into the verge, kicking out the mud. I think that second option unlikely though, there's a fair distance between bend and damaged verge for the bus to slow enough.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
o_OCSI Flecc .
Very sad indeed, looks a rural route out of the city with plenty of room and no others vehicles about to wtness the scene.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
A motorcyclist was killed at the exact same spot a few years ago but that was when a car pulled out of the junction where the front of that bus is.

Reactions: davidwttsjns531

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Very sad, Durham doesn't seem cycle friendly, from reading the internet others have been injured or died in Durham.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For years London has been running at around 15 cyclist deaths a year and as high as over 20 in some years. This year by June 22nd, 8 cyclists had been killed, six of them females on the nearside of trucks in the danger zone. I and very many others were kicking up a fuss about this everywhere we could, including in this forum. The politicians got involved with even the PM speaking about it in the House.

The result is that there hasn't been another death in this second half of the year as we near the end of November, a dramatic improvement. Clearly the scale of the publicity has made all concerned, including the cyclists, more aware and avoiding the dangers. Considering that London cyclists do some 600,000 commuting journeys every weekday, 89 million commutes since that last death, we can at last be proud of the achievement.

A big fuss with lots of publicity seems to be the best way to deal with reducing cyclist deaths, so that no-one forgets when they use the roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: timidtom

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Just been having another look on the internet and I cannot find the report I read last night about other deaths, I definitely didn't dream it, but have temporarily altered my post until I can find the details.

This is weird I can't find the article now, I did find 2 hospitalised injuries (1 serious) 10th nov 2015 and 14th nov 2015, but that wasn't what I read.

flecc. you may want to edit your post as I can't prove what I read was factual, certainly not made up by me, but I don't know if someone else had written it wrong.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Just been having another look on the internet and I cannot find the report I read last night about other deaths, I definitely didn't dream it, but have temporarily altered my post until I can find the details.

This is weird I can't find the article now, I did find 2 hospitalised injuries (1 serious) 10th nov 2015 and 14th nov 2015, but that wasn't what I read.

flecc. you may want to edit your post as I can't prove what I read was factual, certainly not made up by me, but I don't know if someone else had written it wrong.
If you right click on the photo then left click on "search google for this image" you should find a couple of reports,
Dave.
Just realised you meant the other deaths report, I'll use my reading glasses next time!
Dave.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Thanks for the warning Andy, but I've found it for you, three killed in six weeks. Here's the link, but see below.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the warning Andy, but I've found it for you, three killed in six weeks. Here's the link
The links refers to a Durham in America.

In Durham City, UK, there has been one death - the ebiker - and two serious injury accidents in the last few days.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The links refers to a Durham in America.

In Durham City, UK, there has been one death - the ebiker - and two serious injury accidents in the last few days.
Thanks Rob, I hadn't looked deeply into the article. Maybe the one Andy saw though.

Last edited:

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
yes, that's one I looked at, so my fault, I didn't even know these was a Durham in the US, sorry for the confusion.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Could it have been that the bus was turning right into the junction, failed to spot the cyclist and there was a head on collision?

Advertisers