Saddle Choice for Prostate Problems

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have been enjoying my BPH for some 15 years now (early starter) but the road is starting to get bumpy.... I have tried Prostatitis and the biopsy up you bum thing and didn't like either but thankfully do not have the dreaded PC and at present I am awaiting doc's decision on which medication to assault me with.. Lucky Me!!!
I did a forum search for this but the advice given related more the larger wider saddles whereas having tried one of these I find that it was too wide and decided that I prefer the racing type of saddle that comes on the e-mtbs and the racing type of road bikes.
Now,
Bearing in mind that statistically 50% of all men over 60 will have some issues with this, someone out must have the answer I need!
I have 2 bikes (Scott e-Aspect 910 and Cube Agree Carbon triple) both with the same sort of saddle and both giving me the same problem, so I bought a narrower seat with a slot down the middle which was a big improvement, but its not really doing it for me and I cant keep buying saddles that dont work.
If you call in at LBS and mention Prostate /Saddle issues no one wants to know, any older staff all say Oh, I dont have any problems in that area, and the female staff.. Well, lets not go there!...... It would seem that generally men are happy to discuss this issue on line, but in person..
So, if you own an enlarged Prostate Gland and like to get stuck in to some energetic cycling, How do you do it?
Thanks in advance...
Phill

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I have different problems with my nerves and one of these helped me a lot http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort they're all available at Amazon (I know we should support our LBSs but this is a medical problem and you need to feel free to ruthlessly try things out from the maximum choice and return what's unsuitable)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
There is another thread where we chatted about related issues here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/looking-for-a-really-comfortable-saddle.21802/
Yes just looked at that but the Prostate is a pretty specific area that's more central to ones anatomy than the sit bones and coccyx .. And it doesnt like being squashed, well you cant squash it really. I know we all can have problems in the seating area and some get relief for different problems in different ways, but we BPH sufferers have the same thing in common so it seams reasonable to assume that we could all solve this issue in the same way.
I would love to hear from a BPH rider...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have different problems with my nerves and one of these helped me a lot http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort they're all available at Amazon (I know we should support our LBSs but this is a medical problem and you need to feel free to ruthlessly try things out from the maximum choice and return what's unsuitable)
I never thought of amazon. . Buy. Try. And send back .
What a good idea.. amazon takes advantage of our tax laws so why not...[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Reactions: EddiePJ

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Haha I wouldn't normally suggest it but if it's a medical thing then the most important thing is that you get the right saddle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have been enjoying my BPH for some 15 years now (early starter)
Probably a much earlier starter than you Phill, my BPH has been with me for almost 30 years now. I've been ok with a reasonably well padded but not too wide Velo saddle on my last two bikes, the model you see in this pic and have never suffered any severe pain with it.

As for medication, been on Tamsulosin for a few years now which keeps things under control ok.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Probably a much earlier starter than you Phill, my BPH has been with me for almost 30 years now. I've been ok with a reasonably well padded but not too wide Velo saddle on my last two bikes, the model you see in this pic and have never suffered any severe pain with it.

As for medication, been on Tamsulosin for a few years now which keeps things under control ok.
Ah Flecc, thanks for the response..
I think that sort of saddle would look a bit odd on this..
New Bike.jpg
But I have tried something similar on the E-Bike but found it too wide, so I have similar seats on both bikes.
I dont actually get any pain, my issue right now is flow:oops:, but on the bike its just that the swelling underneath causes me to sit over to one side and it feels sort of.. Odd! I have just bought one with a cutout which is better, but have also been looking at this.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/selle-smp-hell-saddle/rp-prod132384?utm_source=customerops&utm_medium=techsupport&utm_campaign=CRC004
Am visiting doc next week so interested in medication. Tamsulosin.. Is that also known as Flomax? I have low BP so I dont think I can have that.. It seems its either that or some dodgy hormone tabs..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tamsulosin.. Is that also known as Flomax? I have low BP so I dont think I can have that.. It seems its either that or some dodgy hormone tabs..
Yes Phill, Flomax is a Tamsulosin brand, both Tamsulosin hydrochloride. I have an evening high blood pressure problem which is separately treated with Amlodipine morning and evening, but my morning pressures are normal.

The Tamsulosin recommendation is to take the one daily capsule in the morning at the same time as the morning Amplodipine, but when I did that my blood pressure sometimes dropped dangerously low by about midday, bringing on faintness and wildly eratic heart beat.

The Doc was puzzled, but my simple solution was to avoid that morning double dose by shifting the Tamsulosin to the end of the afternoon where it's slow release capsule helped to control the evening high pressure. The result is a nicely even moderate pressure range all through the 24 hrs., so maybe your pressure variations if regular will enable a similar timing solution.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you check your own BP?
Yes, I use an Omron memory model, this model, the same as that many doctors use. Uses 4 x AA batteries which last years with intermittent use.

It even measures accurately through a shirtsleeve so very convenient to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gubbins

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I had a huge hydrocele (Google it!) Think Grapefruit.
I had the operation 5 years ago and all is well since.
My Urologist discounted bike saddles, but much reading since has convinced me for the need to totally relieve pressure from the 'centre' which carries all the vital tubes etc.
Frankly, the usual sports saddle supplied with so many bikes is an Urologists dream if he likes making money by performing repair operations.
Apparently, the Ancient Greeks noted certain erectile and other problems amongst horsemen.
Choose a saddle with a cut away centre, do not be embarrassed to look at women's saddles. Unlike men, women are for less embarrassed and shy about saddle problems, and demand that their problems be addressed, unlike men who put up with ridiculous saddles.
For ebikers, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that unlike Lycras, we generally do not spend most of our time standing on the pedals, and need a safe saddle to support us.
I consider that my hydrocele was a problem caused by using a hard, unyielding racing saddle. If my Urologist had been more supportive, I would have considered suing the manufacturers.
Only bike saddles are supplied as hard as iron, and directly apply pressure to very sensitive parts of the anatomy.
Sofa, garden furniture, car seat, boat seat, you name it manufacturers pay far more attention to comfort.
Personally, if I had the financial resources, I would like to see many bike saddle makers taken to the cleaners in court.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had a huge hydrocele (Google it!) Think Grapefruit.
I had the operation 5 years ago and all is well since.
My Urologist discounted bike saddles, but much reading since has convinced me for the need to totally relieve pressure from the 'centre' which carries all the vital tubes etc.
Frankly, the usual sports saddle supplied with so many bikes is an Urologists dream if he likes making money by performing repair operations.
Apparently, the Ancient Greeks noted certain erectile and other problems amongst horsemen.
Choose a saddle with a cut away centre, do not be embarrassed to look at women's saddles. Unlike men, women are for less embarrassed and shy about saddle problems, and demand that their problems be addressed, unlike men who put up with ridiculous saddles.
For ebikers, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that unlike Lycras, we generally do not spend most of our time standing on the pedals, and need a safe saddle to support us.
I consider that my hydrocele was a problem caused by using a hard, unyielding racing saddle. If my Urologist had been more supportive, I would have considered suing the manufacturers.
Only bike saddles are supplied as hard as iron, and directly apply pressure to very sensitive parts of the anatomy.
Sofa, garden furniture, car seat, boat seat, you name it manufacturers pay far more attention to comfort.
Personally, if I had the financial resources, I would like to see many bike saddle makers taken to the cleaners in court.
Just googled it OUCH! ! Makes my problems seem rather small .

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
My own prostate issues were a BPH with a prostate volume of 132cc. I endured that until a year ago when I had an episode of urine retention following a long MTB ride.

In short, I wound up catheterized for 5 months and suffered several nasty infections in the process one time verging on sepsis.

Holep surgery in November last year has improved things dramatically, but it came with a warning to avoid putting pressure on my sensitive perineum area.

I decided to continue cycling but at a reduced level.

I now have ISM touring no-nose saddles on both of my bicycles. So far, they have been brilliant, but have required some adapted technique on my part as I did tend to use the nose of the saddle for help in steering. Something I didn't realise until it wasn't there any longer.

Attachments

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I should think a common issue often under discussed. I have had BPH issues for the last 25 years and have controlled it with medication without the need for surgery. My method of dealing with my BPH symptoms was to ignore them but it all came to a head 20 years ago when I contracted prostatitis which mimicked prostate cancer also making me unable to pee so I was forced to seek medical advice. After a biopsy and other tests I was given the all clear and started taking Tamulosen, with a recent 1 year course of Finasteride and 25 years on with no surgery and symptoms at a minimum I am glad I was forced to seek medical advice. So.. any of you out there with mild urinary issues (not sure? Google BPH or PM me) get yourself checked by your GP, yes its embarrassing and no it doesn't hurt but it could save you surgery with all its associated side effects.
Sorry thirteen for highjacking your thread but it's a topic no one wants to talk about.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Yup, it's still a bit of a taboo subject for many.

Treatment for BPH is most definitely, "medicate and monitor," until/unless a major change occurs. In my case that was he episode of acute urinary retention.

My own experience with Tamsulosin over 4 years was that I did suffer mild to medium side effects. However, that was something I was prepared to live with to avoid surgery.

Happily, the Holep (laser) surgery has made medication unnecessary. The surgeon told me to, "throw it away." :)

Also, of the side effects listed s risks of the surgery, none have materialised. In fact in terms of many of the factors quoted I have seen improvements, not deterioration.

If it comes down to having to have surgery, don't fear it but do your research on the surgeon and the area you are due to have it.

What my (our) condition does require though is consideration of things like saddles, hence my experiment with noseless ISM saddles, which has proved successful.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Strangly I dont have any issues with bike riding, in fact after a 2 hour ride I could Pea for england! About surgery, its seems that there are many new non invasive procedures out there, some only requiring a day visit to hospital, so I am waiting until they become more mainstream. When I hade my retention episode and was diagnosed with BPH, many of my work mates came very quietly asking what symptoms I was suffering but when directly questioned all said Oh not me, I dont have any problems in that area.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Denial is common among BPH sufferers. I get the same, advice and explanations are requested, but allegedly unnecessary as , "It's just for reference I'm OK in that department."

I suspect that there are a fair few more men reading this thread than would admit it.

Frankly, I was in denial regarding the need for surgery.

With a prostate gland as enlarged as mine was, an episode of urine retention requiring a catheter, and (pi$$) poor flow levels following closer monitoring, it was the logical option.

When you reach the stage I did, the options become living with a permanent catheter or surgery.

Regarding the levels of surgery, yes less invasive/destructive options are available and/or being developed including steam to create a better cavity around the urethra through the gland.

However a 132cc gland volume meant that even a TURP would probably only have been effective for 5- 10 years before needing to be repeated. The same applied to any technique that didn't involve at least a part prostatectomy, ie removal of the lobes.

With hindsight, the route I was guided down, and the one you appear to be following, was the best one.

Waiting until the feasible surgery options were the most radical ones was the best idea, rather than opting for a less invasive, less effective surgical procedure at an earlier stage.

I'm due to obtain and fit a smaller ISM saddle on my single speed soon. I'll report back on that, too.

Advertisers