Sakura Mustang Chopper

Martin Pottle

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2017
Tooting
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Sakura Chopper in very good working order. The bike is a beautifully camp piece of theatre which has to be seen to be believed! My problem has been finding accurate technical info on the beast.

The power comes from 4x12v lead acid batteries all nicely connected in series. The charger which came with the bike is a 36v with an unknown current.

My questions are:

1. What is the nominal voltage of the motor?

2. Is 48v within the operational range of the motor?

3. Does anyone else have one of these wonderfully over the top bikes?

Thanks to anyone who could help,

Martin

Attachments

Reactions: Steve A

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I was expecting to see something akin to a Raleigh Chopper, not something quite as exotic as that :cool:

36v charger for 48v of batteries doesn't seem to add up. Well not with my maths anyway :rolleyes:

Gaz

Kevin C

Just Joined
Apr 6, 2017
Stevenage
Sakura Specs.jpg Sakura Wiring.jpg Are you sure it has four 12v batteries?
I know this may seem like a daft question but I've looked at a few of these bikes over the years and the only ones I've seen have all been 36v.
I've also rebuilt several older lead acid battery bikes and have seen plenty of odd configurations of battery from the standard three 12v to combinations of 12v and 6v and of course all 6v which is the current setup in my workhorse Thompson Euro Classic (it worked out around £20.00 cheaper and works just as well) which I use for shopping and hauling around my tools with a huge rear box and high capacity panniers.
There is a Sakura Mustang for sale on ebay right now and the seller has very kindly included images of the specs and wiring diagram in his listing so I've pinched them to add to this reply as you may find them useful.
The only reason I can think anyone would cram in another 12v battery would be if they had beefed up the motor to a 500w which in fairness I'd do too if I had one to put in it although it would be just a little bit illegal to run on the roads.
I'd advise checking the batteries out if you haven't already just to be certain they are all 12v and not a combo job.
In any event well done if you got a good deal on it, I'd have one tomorrow at the right price, they are a bit on the heavy side being a lead acid setup and a bugger on tight corners but make up for it in spades with styling and pure unabashed old school cool, I'm told the designers too their inspiration from Harley Davidson and it certainly shows.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sakura-Mustang-Electric-Lowrider-Chopper-Bike-/262925118439?hash=item3d378eebe7:g:8tUAAOSwhQhY5T2k

Martin Pottle

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2017
Tooting
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the info - really helpful. Finally got under the fairing! The previous owner had a 15x9x9cm (close enough!) 12v 12Ah at the bottom of the battery compartment with two 15x6x9 12v UPS batteries taped together on top. I have bought a new 12Ah battery and will see what my old IT friends can come up with in the way of UPS batteries. Shame I can't afford a lith-iron. Thanks again for the specs.

It certainly does get noticed when I ride it!!!

ROM Selecta

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2021
Just got one of these myself. Awesome bike and thinking about going li-po. Aside from the battery, what else will I need? Will the standard charger be ok to use with it?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
For lithium, the charger needs to bre 54.6v. You could get away with maybe 0.2v above or below, but any further than that could bring problems.

Many chargers are adjustable. Look inside to to see if has an adjustable potentiometer inside it - the block type with a little scew in the top.