Schrader valve adapter wont fit ??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That link shows a Woods to Schrader adaptor on the webpage, not a Presta to Schrader adaptor that the text on the link shows.

I don't know what is meant by downtube tyres, but there are three valve types on bikes:

There are the Schrader valves which are the type cars and motorbikes also use.

Then there are the similar size Woods valves that use a different insert and have a narrower threaded top section on the insert that the pump attaches to. These are not seen very often in Britain except on German imports since they are no longer popular here, though they are on the Continent and in the third world.

Then there are the Presta valves which are seen most often on sports bikes with their narrower rims. Presta valves are much slimmer along their whole length than the other two and their insert has a tiny screw-down securing knurled nut under the dust cap.

Can you tell from this which your bike has?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Oh hell , I wondered why it said presta - woods - schrader , thats what mislead me .

It looks like schrader from your description but I cat seem to find anywhere that sells any adaptions for it .. :mad:

Please tell me I dont have to order and wait on pump from the US too , i looked on halfords site and i saw nothing there either.

thanks any way flecc

t

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Are you sure you're doing it right? :)

I have a bike with woods valves and use an adapter just like that and it works fine. I must admit, I thought the same adapter did for both woods and presta valves, but I bow to flecc's superior knowledge... either way, when you get the correct adapter it just screws onto the valve with the knurled bit to the bottom, leaving the threaded section on top for plugging into the pump.

But don't presta valves need to be unscrewed first to open them before you can inflate the tyre?

Found this
how to use a presta adapter

which might help?

ps: most bike pumps come with their own adapter for the pump attachment bit which converts from presta to schrader and back again. I just have the schrader adapter so I can use a car footpump!

Last edited:

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Im really getting muddled up tonight.

why would a UK pump have schrader converter - or maybe your not in the uk ?

Wouldnt something like this do the trick ?

I just need the tube to attach to the foot pump ive ordered here.

Im not sure if that pump has the adapter already built in or whether it means its schrader ( which Im assuming it might ) that can be used with the adapter for UK bikes.

if it is then it shouldnt need anything right ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It looks like schrader from your description but I cat seem to find anywhere that sells any adaptions for it.
If it's a Schrader you don't need any adaptor, there are more pumps for Schrader valves than for any other type, from any cycle shop or car accessory shop.

As FatMog says, Presta pumps sometimes work with the Woods valves which have the narrower top section but not always. Again, Presta pumps are available from any bike shop.

Scroll down on this webpage to see the three valve types and tell us which it is.

N.B. Just seen your last post. That footpump is a Schrader, there are no ready made adaptor hoses for footpumps normally. On some pump connectors the lever to clamp them operates two ways, one way to fit Schrader, the other to compress further to fit Presta. That one says it has the Presta adaptor built in so it should be ok for two types.

Last edited:

FatMog

Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2007
Sorry tepol, I misunderstood - I thought you were trying to convert presta to schrader. But you think you have schrader?

In which case the pump you linked to will work without an adapter. Compare your bike tyre valve to a car valve, if it's the same it's schrader!