Schwalbe Super Moto X. Seemingly impossible to remove

Kate page

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
Hey All,

I have a Reise and Muller Charger with Super Moto X tires and I do not seem to be able to remove them to fix a flat.
Are there any tips for this, or videos showing removal, as I am finding this feat impossible, where I am sure it is not.

So far I have attempted:
  • Pushing the tire to the center
  • Adding soap to lubricate the bead area.
  • Using tire levers
  • Trying to remove all air, and being unable to.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you mean that you can't break the bead off the edge of the rim or you can't lever the loose tyre over the rim. If the former, use a piece of 2x2 and a big mallet with the rim supported on something. If the latter, start to lever the tyre over, then, with tension on it, work the tyre inro the centre of the rim with the other hand. As you go round with the centering hand, you should feel the tyre gradually becoming easier to lever over. You have to centre right up to the bit you're trying to lever over. If that doesn't work, you need a big lever and a lot of strength, though that situation is very rare.

Kate page

Jul 9, 2018
I can't break the bead off the edge of the rim.
A 2x2 and a mallet feels like I could damage the rim, even if being careful.
Do you know somewhere I can see this in action, a video or something.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put the wheel on the floor and stand on the tyre sideways be careful tho.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
use a piece of 2x2 and a big mallet with the rim supported on something.
Is there a video somewhere showing this? I agree with the OP I would like to see how this is done before trying it myself. I always have trouble breaking the bead on modern mtb tyres with tubless ready rims. This was never a problem years ago before tubless had been invented. It can take me a good half an hour of continually pressing with my thumbs before I eventually break the bead.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
put the wheel on the floor and stand on the tyre sideways be careful tho.
I've seen a youtube video using this method but I didn't like the look of it. It seemed like there was a good chance of damaging the wheel trying it this way. Is that the method you use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah bit of a last resort or you could ride a bit with the tyre flat and that should also brake the seal.

Kate page

Jul 9, 2018
If you don't want to hit the 2x2 with a mallet, you can lever it like this.
I can attempt that, but although the tires are quite balloon like, I am not sure if I will have enough leverage to be able to stick a 2x2 in there. I will try and find something that could work.

I did attempt to also stand on the tire, but I didn't put too much pressure on it, so as to not damage the tire.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you get it off then ? you wont damage the tyre lol

Last edited:
Reactions: wheeliepete and Nev

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
I overheard two guys talking a few months ago about this problem and one guy suggested using a ratchet strap between wheel rim and tyre to break the slime seal.
Not tried it myself - never had the need to - that's jinxed it!

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Do you folks think it would be possible to design a tool that would break the bead without too much difficulty and be small and light enough to take out on rides with you?. The problem with the methods shown in this thread, is that your not going to have a bench vice or a bit of 2 by 2 and a mallet when your out on a ride.

If that's not possible, could a tool be designed for bead breaking for use just at home?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I've not had this problem with any of my tyres, but I think the use of a small C clamp and a block of wood could provide a portable solution, imitating the use of a vice in #10. Replace the bulky 2x2 with a short piece of hardwood baton, maybe shaped to the curve of the rim would help. Right....off to the shed.:D

Kate page

Jul 9, 2018
So I have attempted to use a 2x2 piece of wood and a mallet, unfortunately I do not have a vice in my house.

I have also gone to my local bike shop. The mechanic wasnt in, but the guy at the front desk groaned as soon as he saw the make, so....

I think I may go tubeless after this. It might be easier to maintain the bike and only have to repair the tire at known times.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I can't believe just how difficult that the YT clip made it look.

In the workshop I simply use an Irwin speed-grip, both beads can be broken this way in just seconds. The second bead, if still stuck, can easily be broken by placing a piece of wood to bridge the opposing rim, protecting the rim with padding before doing so, then simply squeeze the clamp. No problem or hassle.

When out on a trail, I simply place padding where required to protect the wheel rim, lay the wheel as level as possible, and just gently add weight to the tyre side wall, whilst making certain that the rim isn't in any risk.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I can't believe just how difficult that the YT clip made it look.

In the workshop I simply use an Irwin speed-grip, both beads can be broken this way in just seconds. The second bead, if still stuck, can easily be broken by placing a piece of wood to bridge the opposing rim, protecting the rim with padding before doing so, then simply squeeze the clamp. No problem or hassle.

When out on a trail, I simply place padding where required to protect the wheel rim, lay the wheel as level as possible, and just gently add weight to the tyre side wall, whilst making certain that the rim isn't in any risk.
that rim costs £1600:eek:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
that rim costs £1600:eek:
Still not a problem. In the workshop use a speed grip, and as you run tubeless, you can just plug the hole if you get a flat when out. :)

There are even mini speed grips that could be carried in a back pack, that would probably easily break a tyre bead, and as only one side ever needs to broken to fix a puncture, even a conventional tube set up shouldn't be a drama. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant say i have ever had a problem getting the tyre off tbh but sealant sticks to carbon a lot more than alu rims.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Greengrass

Just Joined
Jan 28, 2017
Scotland
Hey All,

I have a Reise and Muller Charger with Super Moto X tires and I do not seem to be able to remove them to fix a flat.
Are there any tips for this, or videos showing removal, as I am finding this feat impossible, where I am sure it is not.

So far I have attempted:
  • Pushing the tire to the center
  • Adding soap to lubricate the bead area.
  • Using tire levers
  • Trying to remove all air, and being unable to.
Hi, did you ever get anywhere with this?
I have the same bike, same tyres and same problem! If I had a puncture on a ride I would be stuffed...

WavyDavy

Apr 7, 2019
I have the same problem with the Smart Sam's on my Cube. I tried the 4x2 and the vice methods but I found the sidewalls too flexible for it to work. Assuming I was doing it right of course. I managed in the end by rolling the tyre up so it pulled away from the rim. Hard on the hands but it gave up in the end. I am also dreading a puncture out on the trail so may be going tubeless at the next tyre change.

Advertisers