scooters

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there was about 15 kids out side the shop last night and all of them had escooters they are fkn everywhere round here and police do nothing, never have lol.

Reactions: budsy

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No surprise here ...
I note a lack of information in that article - also no surprise.

Allowing hired ones but not private is, to me, deeply distasteful. There will be many who perhaps could benefit but would not always be comfortable with what rental companies offer. This could be due to "disability" issues. And others who live in places without such schemes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Were they giving you a race SW?!
no i walk to the shop but never seen a gang of them like that b4 and none had a crash hat lol.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020

Allowing hired ones but not private is, to me, deeply distasteful. There will be many who perhaps could benefit but would not always be comfortable with what rental companies offer. This could be due to "disability" issues. And others who live in places without such schemes.
Agreed. Like so much modern govt' policy it's been conceived by people with no concept of the real world, who exist entirely in the "Westminster bubble". Such a missed opportunity....

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020

Presumably this is supposedly a means they think they can monitor the experiment so if it goes very bad, they can make them (in theory) illegal in public spaces again. They wont want people buying them and then being told after the trial - hey , we changed out mind, you can't use them now.
As a non driver , a scooter might have appealed to me, as a cheaper option than E Bikes, if it goes well, I imagine they will then produce standards rules etc for individual purchase and use but there are too many idiots and kids around who will undoubtedly spoil it for everyone.
And yeah, see them around in London being used already without a care.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Here's something else I've just been reading about, if the law seize your scooter you wont get it back because it can't be insured so you are stuffed.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I think they have left all this far too late

There are loads of them around now - so if they want to legalise them with specific restrictions - e.g. max speed 15.5 mph - then there will already be a load of them on the road/pavement/whatever that do not comply with the new regs

If they had looked at them and legalised them much sooner they could have set things up so most that were sold were within regs.
Although - as we know - people would still modify them - but now there will be no way to tell if a scooter is legal or not - unless it is wizzing up a hill at 30!!

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Heard this on radio and the news after.. and its beginning in Middlesbrough

Anyone with a full or a provisional license is legal .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Already a thread started a couple of months ago.

Trial scooters are the only legal ones allowed which will have insurance and speed limitation.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
No the max is 15.5 mph and are allowed on pavements , i heard via radio not so long ago .

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m a little confused. So, I can hire an e scooter and do the maximum speed as allowed for e bikes but whilst I don’t have to pedal a scooter, I will still have to pedal my bike? Have I got tbis right?
Yes, and with 350 watts on the scooter.

However, this is only for the trial, the government prefers a 12.5 mph scooter speed limit for any future law and this is out for a public consultation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No the max is 15.5 mph and are allowed on pavements , i heard via radio not so long ago .
Yes to 15.5 mph for the trial, but a firm NO for pavement use, either for the trial or future intentions.

The 12.5 mph limit maybe for any future law, the government preferrring that since it's already a common European standard.