Scorcher - how hot is it where you are?

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Just interested in real figures rather than what I can see online. Yesterday was hot, but today's hotter down here in Eastbourne. The coolest part of my house is 78F/25C and it's a damn site warmer outside, nudging 90 in the shade in garden:

Gaz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Passed 30 degrees C at shortly after 1pm here in South London, currently 29.8 degrees (infra red thermometer) in the same spot.

Earth temperature in sun at surface 34.1 degrees, air temperature vertical measurement at height pointed away from the sun, 14.8 degrees.

It's always surprising how cool the air can be a long way above the ground, even in hot weather.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Passed 30 degrees C at shortly after 1pm here in South London, currently 29.8 degrees (infra red thermometer) in the same spot.

Earth temperature in sun at surface 34.1 degrees, air temperature vertical measurement at height pointed away from the sun, 14.8 degrees.

It's always surprising how cool the air can be a long way above the ground, even in hot weather.
... According to one of David Attenboroughs documentaries, that is why man started to walk upright .. to get the hotter growing brain further away from the ground.

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'd better buy some stilts then and amaze the world with my perspicacity! :)
Are you after a job should The Good Old Days return?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Are you after a job should The Good Old Days return?
Careful! Wrong thread... :p

You don't want to know about temperatures where I live. August temperatures in June are not a great sign of things to come this year...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Update:

This morning around 7:20 the wind changed direction to the south and the temperature rose from the stable all night value of 27° to about 32° in about five minutes...

My computer packed it in a half hour ago which means it is probably over 35° in my apartment with the shutters down. Outside I guess between 38° and 40° in the shade.

Reactions: robdon and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Outside I guess between 38° and 40° in the shade.
Pow, that's warm! My wife's currently in Perth, WA, where it's noticeably cooler than the UK, or at least the south coast, where I am.

What's the climate like Mr Kiwi? Over here it was in the early 30's yesterday, and everything's drying out, but I was melting all day. I drank over a gallon of water, but I'm still not sure that was enough.

Gaz

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Pow, that's warm! My wife's currently in Perth, WA, where it's noticeably cooler than the UK, or at least the south coast, where I am.

What's the climate like Mr Kiwi? Over here it was in the early 30's yesterday, and everything's drying out, but I was melting all day. I drank over a gallon of water, but I'm still not sure that was enough.

Gaz
Gaz,
I'm in Burns Beach just north of Perth on the sunset coast
Yes your wife will be enjoying our fantastic weather and sunsets just like this

Attachments

Reactions: robdon and Gaz

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Living in the foot hills of the Pyrenees we are used to violent thunder storms, problem is they are getting more and more violent. There is one brewing but when for, will the tomatoes survive?...

But hey! It is all just a bad Chinese joke remember. Snow in California in June? Perfectly normal, nothing to see there, please move along... And please, no smoking in the car if you come over this way, everything is as dry as tinder!

Perfect weather for taking thing easy on an electric bike and exploring the Basque Country http://www.diariovasco.com/graficos/san-sebastian/201506/25/bidegorris-aparcabicis-sebastian-30111966730675-mm.html

There is even a word for cycle path in Basque: bidegorri

Reactions: robdon

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
34C in Kassiopi, Corfu today and forecast to get up to 39C next week! Be glad to get back to windy old northeast England.

Advertisers