Scott e-Sub Sport 20

1GiantLeap

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2007
Hello you good people
Am new to posting on the forum and to electric bikes. Thinking about buying this model for daily commute (10 miles each way). Having read a bunch of posts I have concluded there are certain companies and motors that I keen to avoid. And think I want the Bosch Performance (with 500Wh battery) as it is arguably the most reliable compared with most other options. Am I on the right lines or barking up the wrong tree here? Any advice or thoughts appreciated.
1GiantLeap

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks well up to the job and should be more then capable of double your ride distance if you are happy to pay that for a bike then go for it. Also quite a few other bikes out there in that price bracket or cheaper that will equally do the job.
Cube cross hybrid or KTM e street or Macina range.
For a lot less Woosh Karoo or the Max drive Greenway.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You are certainly on the right lines.

The Scott - or something like it - gives you the best chance of a trouble-free commute.

Most of the £2k-ish Bosch trekking bikes are similar - same motor and standard decent quality bike bits elsewhere.

Cube are sometimes a hundred or two cheaper, so they may be worth a look.

Inevitably with commuting there will be some maintenance, so a keen and competent local dealer is more important than for a weekend rider.

1GiantLeap

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for both comments which are appreciated.
Absolutely agree about using a decent local dealer.
I have been tempted to buy some cheaper options but they are not local.
I am trying to minimise two things with this purchase:

1. the likelihood of having problems with the motor in the first place
(i.e. From online reviews and forums like this I am judging the Bosch Performance to be as reliable as an e-bike motor can get in this market). This may or may not be a wise conclusion.

2. the hassle of getting any problems looked at quickly and effectively by the dealer, hence me looking at a local bike dealer, which in my case would be rutland cycling. RC have provided me with good service with my Brompton so far.

Appreciate that there are other and cheaper alternatives out there but I am not convinced with an e-bike getting the cheapest bike there is pays off.
Any other thoughts or advice.
I should add that I have taken the bike for a test ride and it compared well to the Kalkhoff e-bikes I also tested.

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I have the Scott esub sports absolutely love it I have had it a year now trouble free however I have only done around 800 miles, I rarely commute because as a service engineer I could get called out any day, also I ride my conversion bike in the ice and snow and salty roads. ( I don't want to fall off it again) I tried a few different models before riding this one, and I knew immediately I was buying it
It's a quality product I do believe that you get what you pay for, I bought it from a ebike shop quite a distance from where I live in North Staffordshire because I couldn't find a ebike shop any closer that stocked that model, however
,any purchase of that amount of money is a risk, I don't regret it for a single minute.

Reactions: 1GiantLeap

Chris the Sheep

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2013
I've been commuting in Blackpool on a Scott e-sub Tour (Shimano Steps) for two years, and assume the Sport is similar quality. Used in all weathers, I have had NO problems with it, and the only hint of rust is on the mounting bolts for the motor - which is a Shimano part. No loose or broken spokes, no need to upgrade any parts. I'm 15 stone and I often carry two heavy panniers. I love it.
My previous e-bike was a Giant; I had no end of trouble with the spokes, the brakes were hopeless and needed upgrading, and I gave up on it when the proprietary bottom bracket failed.