Searching for an e-folder...

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

Brand new user here, wondering if one or two folks might chip in with some advice. I'm presently a car user, but as of September I will be working from home (or occasionally from an office a few miles away). Accordingly I guess it's about time I got rid of the car for environmental reasons, and worked out how to get about in Birmingham centre without four wheels. I've not owned a bike for a couple of years, and even that it was a battered mountain bike that didn't get much TLC - so I know nothing about bikes and nothing about maintenance. I am, however, happy to learn :).

I would expect to do around four journeys per week, each being between eight miles round-trip and 15 miles round-trip. I was originally considering a non-powered folder but I reckon in the winter months the benefits of the regular exercise would be outweighed by the rain, the snow and the cold; I have therefore been looking at the electric folder market with interest. I don't have a shed or a garage, so at present I think a folder would suit my purposes better (which is a shame, as I think this white Oxygen looks rather lovely - I'd just not have anywhere to put it).

I was originally considering an Electrobike, which given that it looks like a myriad of other machines in the same £500 price bracket, might perhaps be of the same 'cheap import' design that a number of sources are warning about. And most bikes in this category - to my untutored eye at least - look rather ungainly. But I liked that the website was packed with knowledge, and this particular firm is close to me too.

But looking around, and increasing the price bracket to under £1000, I find the much better looking Wisper 806fe, but I read somewhere (lost the URL now) that the pedal-assist is not variable. At this price bracket (again, beginner alert) I would have thought a twist-grip or something would permit the amount of power to be varied - so that I can periodically get some exercise and increase the mileage between charges! The power/voltage spec is much smaller than the Electrobike, as is the expected range.

In a similar price bracket is the Urban Mover UM26S, which looks much better than the Electrobike, but has reduced voltage like the Wisper, and worse range than both.

After that little list, hopping to £1500 brings into reach the Gocycle (very attractive, and very light, but limited range and apparently noisy); Brompton with Nano kit (these look a bit awkward to me, though I know they're regarded as Rolls Royces of the folder world), or the splendid looking Wisper 806 Alpino. But this doubles my intended budget, which is significantly more than I've ever paid for a car.

So... should I go for a cheapie to start off with, and go from there, maybe? Or is that a false economy? Am happy to buy second-hand, but to what degree would I need after-sales support? Also, what is security like on a folder - will a single lock through both wheels and frame when folded be sufficient, or do owners of expensive folders use two D-locks?

Sorry 'bout length of post; am keen to do the research properly as you can tell! TIA for any input.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You'd be very welcome to try the Juicy Bike range if you can fit in a trip to Buxton.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ooh, splendid, thanks OMB... hadn't seen that one on my research travels yet.

Design and finish looks rather like the Electrobike (large pic) et al though if you've not heard many fault reports, that's something. The power/range of this category of machine does seem only to be otherwise available in e-folders costing nearly three times as much :eek:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Cheers JB. I do rather like the spec of the Urban20, and I notice it has front shocks too. Do these make a good difference to the ride quality? Does the 'throttle assist' mean that the rider can choose the level of assistance, rather than having it either off or on?

I see that the Urban20 has a 36v/10a spec rather than the Urban16's 24v/8a, and yet both have the same estimated range of 30 miles. Shouldn't the better bike go further between charges? {newb alert!}

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Range for the 16" should be 20, not 30 miles - thanks for pointing this out!!
Throttle is exactly that - twist and go, if you like. Pedaling also activates the motor.
You really should try a bike before you decide. Try to test the bikes on a decent ride which includes some steep hills. Needless to say we have plenty of those in the Peak District!

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ah, that would make more sense :D

OK, I appreciate that a throttle is 'twist and go', but does this mean I can 'get less help' from the motor, and so increase the range of the battery?

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Another cheap 36v lithium battery folder is available on ebay for £530 from sunlova,they are based somewhere in birmingham, the bikes have had some favourable reviews in the past and they have been selling electric bikes for a couple of years now,they also mention that panasonic batteries are used.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey Halfer

Welcome to Pedelecs!

The UM26S is a really popular bike. The range we quote is 20 miles, but we ensure this is as close accurate as we can get. Sometimes what people claim and what the actual bike does are two totally different things (!)

The other benefit is that we offer a 2 year warranty on the battery, motor and electronics + 10 years on the frame. We also use the Dahon folding mechanism.

Do let me know if you need further details, or call our technical centre on: 01242 252 334

All the best

Mark

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Ah, that would make more sense :D

OK, I appreciate that a throttle is 'twist and go', but does this mean I can 'get less help' from the motor, and so increase the range of the battery?
You can use the throttle or not - It's up to you. When pedalling, use a low gear to get more help, high gear to get less. The motors controller uses a crank sensor to measure how fast the rider is pedalling. Slower pedalling gets less help. Really simple, well-proven design that is easy to understand and maintain.

J H

Just Joined
Aug 11, 2010
We have had Electrobikes for about a month now and we find them very easy to use. We tend to use them on throttle assist rather than pedal assist as this uses much less power and we can go much further.

I'm certainly no lightweight:eek: and this bike has no problems with me on it, it is a pleasure to ride. No problems with hills either:D

We have the MkII bikes but the MkIII has a motor with a bit more oomph if you requre it but we haven't found the need.

Jill

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I can only see the mezza with the currie kit and at 45 lbs its not light at all , as you say.

it comes in 1 grand on the 50c site , so you obviosuly got a good deal from that place ( which doesnt seem to sell it any more ) but Id still rather stick my custom convert downtube nova plus the ezee kit.

The currie is an old kit / noisy too from what i read , so I dont why their selling it for grand on overbulked bike ( IMO does not look anywhere near as nice as the Downtubes either )

£700 is obviosuly better than 900 , but I dont see the point , if you can help it , in cutting corners with crappy kits or heavier weight when its going to cost you more in the long run.

Id rather spend as much as I can afford , but then my my priorties of balance are far higher than I suspect most other users here who do not have my physical issues to contend with.

Still , thats was very good deal - esp for here in the uk

t

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Re. "cutting corners with crappy kits":

:confused:

Please note that the Via Mezza *Enlightened* is a totally different machine than the Via Mezza (the latter is really clumsy and heavy because of the use of lead-acid batteries...I have never tried it myself, just read about it).

On the "Enlightened" model, the so-called "Currie" kit is basically based on a rebranded Suzhou Bafang geared hub motor, so it is an excellent, well-proven solution that most e-bike "manufacturers" use or have used (including Wisper). It is nearly as quiet as my more recent 8-Fun (Suzhou Bafang) sensor-less geared hub motor as fitted on my Brompton...and as far as I know the eZee motors are as noisy, if noisier units. :)

As for the weight, I have tried quite a few 20" (wheels) folding bikes, with no noticeable difference in weight. Once again, are you sure you are talking about the correct Via Mezza ? PS: regarding looks, I much prefer the curved style than the Downtube's multi-angled frame...but that's totally subjective so not worth debating here. :p

The build quality of the Via Mezza Enlightened is very good for a chinese folder, and it is a well-balanced e-bike too. My only (minor) concern is that the after-sales support from iZip seems below-par in the UK (it's probably OK in the USA). Should you be able to afford it, Wisper offers a higher level of customer service. PS: furthermore, the Via Mezza Enlightened has been superceded by a model with front suspension, another one with torque instead of cadence sensor, and another one with built-in battery...the iZip firm being USA-based, it's quite hard to tell what model is still supported / imported...

All the best. Dan

I can only see the mezza with the currie kit and at 45 lbs its not light at all , as you say.

it comes in 1 grand on the 50c site , so you obviosuly got a good deal from that place ( which doesnt seem to sell it any more ) but Id still rather stick my custom convert downtube nova plus the ezee kit.

The currie is an old kit / noisy too from what i read , so I dont why their selling it for grand on overbulked bike ( IMO does not look anywhere near as nice as the Downtubes either )

£700 is obviosuly better than 900 , but I dont see the point , if you can help it , in cutting corners with crappy kits or heavier weight when its going to cost you more in the long run.

Id rather spend as much as I can afford , but then my my priorties of balance are far higher than I suspect most other users here who do not have my physical issues to contend with.

Still , thats was very good deal - esp for here in the uk

t

Last edited:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thank you all, it's great to get a range of recommendations and opinions. Looks like I have more research to do ;)

Mark, I hear you on the quoted range of e-bikes; I am entirely new to this, but I can imagine that one or two might be inclined to 'tweak' some of the stats! I have seen it suggested here that sometimes the weight is slightly understated with some machines also...

Thanks Paul for the Sunlova recommendation - one of the good things about their website is that they have huge pictures of their products - not many seem to do that, strangely. Since they are close to me I will see if I can go test one. The lower price in relation to Urban Mover or Wisper does give pause for thought, but perhaps that's due to the much better warranty and support on the latter machines?

Daniel, much appreciate your illustrated review of the Via Mezza Enlightened on another thread - all useful input. Did you get your waterproofing sorted out? :)

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
On a general note, I should be interested to know whether the cheaper bikes (Sunlova et al) can be upgraded using standard (but higher quality) components by taking it into a good local repair shop and getting them to replace them (or, of course, learning it to do it oneself!). Presumably such bikes are sold on the basis that the after-sales support and spares availability is not as good as from the premium brands?

J H

Just Joined
Aug 11, 2010
The after sales service on the Electrobike is second to none. My husband accidently broke the prop stand on my (not his) bike and the company sent another one (free of charge) the same day they were contacted.

As I said earlier, we have only has these a month but we have friends who have had these bikes for over a year and they praise this company for the excellent service they've had. I think that there is a two year guarantee on the bike and one year on the battery but if the battery fails between year one and year two, a replacement costs much less than the full price.

I know that it can be argued that 'you get what you pay for' but sometimes the more expensive option is not always the best value.

jameshanley1

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2010
juicy bike buyer

I just purchased two of the juicy bike 20" folders and they're brilliant- I would really recommend.
let me know if you've got any questions and I'd be happy to give feedback.

I got them over a month ago now, we've been cycling about the peaks (coped with the many many hills) and now taken them back down south.
Had no problems, great bike for good price.

Cheers

James

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I just purchased two of the juicy bike 20" folders and they're brilliant- I would really recommend.
let me know if you've got any questions and I'd be happy to give feedback.

I got them over a month ago now, we've been cycling about the peaks (coped with the many many hills) and now taken them back down south.
Had no problems, great bike for good price.

Cheers

James
That's great news James. Thanks for taking the trouble to post. Very much appreciated.