Seat post battery bike question.

pea

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2012
I've now managed to narrow down my search for a bike from the hundreds out there to just a few, that has taken some doing in itself :)

One of the bikes I'm looking at has the battery behind the seat post, this makes the bike three inches longer than a normal bike, I'd be interested to know, off anyone thats got one, if this had made any difference to the handling of the bike or not?

Pea

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends what you want to do. I'd be surprised if you would be able to notice any difference, but, in theory, it'll make the bike more stable and relaxed for normal riding on the road, and it'll be less responsive for trials riding where you have to turn a lot of sharp corners in a short space. I've ridden every type of electric bike on the road and trails, but I can't say that I ever even thought about it. The only time you notice any adverse effects on handling is when you have a big heavy battery mounted too high up. I'm talking about a 20aH LiFePO4 or something like that.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It depends what you want to do. I'd be surprised if you would be able to notice any difference, but, in theory, it'll make the bike more stable and relaxed for normal riding on the road, and it'll be less responsive for trials riding where you have to turn a lot of sharp corners in a short space. I've ridden every type of electric bike on the road and trails, but I can't say that I ever even thought about it. The only time you notice any adverse effects on handling is when you have a big heavy battery mounted too high up. I'm talking about a 20aH LiFePO4 or something like that.
I'm with Dave - not much practical difference in the handling of seatpost battery bikes.

All I would add is they are a bit less wieldy, which makes them harder to get through trail obstacles such as kissing gates.