Help! secondhand dilema WISPER 705 OR THE BIG BEAR?

Itsashambles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
I need to make a decision , i dont know which is for me, im buying semi blind, as its getting dropped off, what shall i look for, what should i be asking about it (350miles on the bigbear} warrenty left on the wisper ...

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I would be looking for original purchase receipt. How old are they? Regardless of miles, old batteries degrade. What size battery is on Wisper? Any damage to them? Overall condition (any rusty bits)? I have ridden both these bikes in the past and things may have changed depending on how old they are but Big Bear is more powerful but overall quality of Wisper is better. Depending on the relative age and battery sizes, the Wisper will have cost more in the first instance. What is most important for you?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I would be looking for original purchase receipt. How old are they? Regardless of miles, old batteries degrade. What size battery is on Wisper? Any damage to them? Overall condition (any rusty bits)? I have ridden both these bikes in the past and things may have changed depending on how old they are but Big Bear is more powerful but overall quality of Wisper is better. Depending on the relative age and battery sizes, the Wisper will have cost more in the first instance. What is most important for you?
We have had many battery sizes over the years, we would need a serial number or image.

Re power, we upgraded the power on bikes about a year ago, they are all more powerful now.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both will be still be serviceable and supported should any fault occur as David and Tony are regulars so spares won't be much of an issue.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probab;y will boil down to the test ride one rear hub the other front hub.
The Big Bear has immense power for a 250w motor albeit no different to a 350w one .

• :D
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Itsashambles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2018
oldham
Can I put a baby seat on any of them?. Or a kiddy trike every now and then? Might want to take grandson out sometime. He's 2. Maybe the odd hill . Put my shopping on it usually. Wish I had money for a cargo bike, but hey. Was going to get new, but there's a wait, summer be gone, so opting for 2nd hand. That's proving difficult.

This isn't an option to keep trying and buying. I'm seeing the whisper later. But I've only ever ridden 1 in my life, what am I comparing it to . Who'd have thought it was so difficult.. just a bike they say
Cheers guys x

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can I put a baby seat on any of them?
the rack on the Big Bear is about 9cm higher than standard height on a 26" wheel push bike.
If you want a bike for a baby seat, the Camino and Gran Camino are more suited.

second hand Big Bear: more recent Big Bears (from late 2018) have hydraulic brakes and Suntour NEX forks, older models have cable operated disc brakes and TGS fork. There's about £75 difference in components.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I can get a child seat on my 705se. The mounting bracket just fits on the seat tube and I have to splay the foot rests out a little to go over the battery and pannier rack. If you already have a child seat it would be worth taking the mounting bracket with you when you see the bikes.