Secrity & locks

Mike Robinson

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
I have a big U-lock from my motorbike but don't really fancy peddling it around town etc. Has anyone tried the frame locks by Axa or Abus (AXA SL7 or ABUS version)? I think you can get cable extensions as well.

Would it fit an e-bike (mine's an Ezee Liv)?

They appeal because the lock will allways be on the bike, it won't weigh a tonne, it's difficult to remove without damaging the bike and it won't rattle as I go allong.

Do e-bikes get much attention from thieves?

Mike

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
I don’t know how it is the situation in UK, but it cannot be worse than in my town (Naples), so I say you what I do.

My Giant comes with the AXA SL7, which is very useful for short stops (but it is possible just to carry away the bicycle, which is light enough). Flecc posted some time ago a link to the optional cable, so I bought it and I use it when I leave my bicycle in reasonably sure places. Even though it is quite a strong cable I’m sure that it is not difficult to cut for an expert thief. So when the situation is a bit worse I use a U-Lock of Abus, which has a dedicated adapter to carry it: I mounted it on a side of my racks and it doesn’t bother at all. In bad situations I put both the AXA with the cable and U-Lock: the thief would need different tools to break both of them. Sometimes I take off the battery as well, since without it the bicycle is less attractive and in case they take it I’ll still have one of its more expensive parts with me…

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having looked at the illustration of it, I think that the Liv, in common with the Torq and Quando etc, are unlikely to accept the AXA lock. The problem is the conjunction of the carrier front supports with the frame near to the battery getting in the way of mounting and using the lock. I will do some measurements but don't hold out much hope it can fit.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi flecc
would that also apply to my torq which has no rack or mudgards in the way. nigel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've done some careful measurement of the AXA on my Twist and checked against the Torq.

It's a definite no for these and the Sprint etc. The height of the crown of the lock intrudes well into the battery area, and the side key coincides with one of the carrier mounts even without the carrier fitted.

It might just be possible to wangle the AXA onto the Quando II with it's carrier removed, but it's touch and go whether it would work as the mounts coincide with the curve in the frame tube at that point.

Mike Robinson

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Thanks flecc for looking into that for me. It seemed like a good idea and you do see them on some of the more expensive e-bikes. I guess my old u-lock will just have to be lugged around then.

On a good note though I've used it for nearlly 15 years and none of my motor bikes went missing - though I suspect that might be more to do with my unfashionable taste in motorbikes.

Mike

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Yes its a shame it wont fit they are so handy as they are all ready fixed to the bike and its better then lugging heavy locks around maybe ezee could design something like the axa for there bikes;) :) :D NIGEL