security and insurance

Mark *

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2021
Hi all,

So my new bike should be with me this week, and as i have never had a e bike of value before. What is the best security measures i can take, I'm aware of super glue and grinders etc.. can some of you experienced chaps recommend locks ,deterrents, and good insurance company's ? i was just wondering what insurance company's would stipulate ?

I have no idea what is even on the market, i prefer to ask people with experience !

Many Thanks. :)

Flycaster

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019

and just bought this as it is compact and not too heavy, poor bike has enough with me on it lol

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
We keep ours in a locked garage and are covered under cycles by our house and contents insurance. Depends how much yours is worth but it may already be included.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Best place to keep it stored is inside the home, rather than a shed or even garage. The stolen bike database lists too many stolen from sheds and garages.

Locking it outside - Something only a grinder can get through and preferably not locking it all night down some dark alley, but in prime position in a city center its less likely to have a grinder thief draw attention to themselves.
For insurance- a must, as its a lot of money, your lock must be gold level sold secure, as thats the one the insurance companies insist upon.

Someone pointed this lock out the other day, made by the hiplok people and designed apparently to defeat angle grinders. Only £60, so you could have 2 and probably quite light in weight if its carbon/graphite

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Most people can't keep their bikes inside the house to be honest and i haven't had anything stolen from inside our locked garage door the 30 odd years that we have lived here. It depends where you live of course but if it's left in a shed or garage rather than outside you are more likely to get insurance and i would say, less likely to have it taken. It's a useful idea to have a lock on it even in a garage if only to make it more awkward for anyone who might gain access.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is for the lock if you loose the key ;)

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
Great info thanks, more if your out and about i meant to say. i will keep mine inside my property at all times !

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Alarm (hidden) under the saddle. Its a red rear light as well with remote control.

Also a GPS Tracker, set up to alarm if moved, and sends location to a smart phone with the software app on it.... maybe one in a rear light from ebay, though I have myself never tried one.
Andy

Reactions: Mark *

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
just watched the lock picking lawyer ,if you have a e bike don't ever leave it unattended ? any lock can be broken into . So it boils down to where you live ? and the area. anybody have tamper alarms or tracking devices ?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
just watched the lock picking lawyer ,if you have a e bike don't ever leave it unattended ? any lock can be broken into . So it boils down to where you live ? and the area. anybody have tamper alarms or tracking devices ?
I have a sensitive alarm, with remote control, that sounds with the tiniest of vibrations. It looks and works as an under the saddle rear light, and a hooter when underway! Its over 4 years old and still works fine...
Ebay has them for around 20 UK Pounds.
I also had a GPS Tracker (now garage parking!), set to send an alarm to a smart phone, if the bike is vibrated. It also reports, within a meter or so, the position of the bike on Google maps.
Andy

Reactions: Mark *