Self build full suspension emtb

torchy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2016
After lurking and perusing the forum for ideas I thought I would throw my hat in with the following. I live in the middle of a very forested corner of the realm and have access to a life times worth of forestry trails for which I want to ride with a full suspension rig. I had already built a hybrid bike using a Bafang BBS2 crank motor on a 67mm BB bottom shell so had the kit but not a suitable rig. After much research I now found my perfect donor bike a Voodoo Canza 2017 with a bb of 73mm which is fairly unusual as most other mtb makers have gone over to much bigger bb shells. It has a great rolling resistance, superb suspension and additionally a slack steering head allowing easy inertion of a 48v 13ah frame battery mounted under the frame using riv nuts for the m5 mounting bolts.
The bafang motor slipped in easily after removal of the BB shell. Only slight problems being unable to use the metal dust cover over the lock ring on the left crank. Additionally on the drive side the drive chain would not centre. Not a problem just reverse the bafang 48mm chain ring and the chain lines up perfectly. I have mounted a rear rack directly onto the rear suspension unit so can carry panniers or whatever. I have an easy 35 mile range. Should the battery die on me I still have 10 sprockets on the back which combined with all the additional weight being on the bottom means its not too hard to hoof it home using pedal power. Total cost £500 for the Voodoo, £350 for the 500w bafang, £250 for the 48v battery. Total cost just over a grand for what I consider is the almost perfect full susp emtb (roll on new battery technology)...... 200 miles in and no problems to date.

torchy

Apr 14, 2016
I was asked about the battery mounting but couldnt post reply so here it is here....The battery easily mounts under the frame with plenty of clearance to the front wheel. Its a ........
Pswpower EU No Tax 48V 13Ah Ebike Battery + 54.6V 2A Charger, Hairon the Interior Battery 18650 ebike Battery Pack fit 48V 750W/ Motor, Li-ion Battery

Bought it on Amazon so copy above and check for dimensions but its a frame mount type in a hard case.

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Be very careful with water ingress when running the battery inverted like that. I’ve a hunch the case could fill with water if caught in a downpour

• Agree
Reactions: Swizz and tommie

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
After lurking and perusing the forum for ideas I thought I would throw my hat in with the following. I live in the middle of a very forested corner of the realm and have access to a life times worth of forestry trails for which I want to ride with a full suspension rig. I had already built a hybrid bike using a Bafang BBS2 crank motor on a 67mm BB bottom shell so had the kit but not a suitable rig. After much research I now found my perfect donor bike a Voodoo Canza 2017 with a bb of 73mm which is fairly unusual as most other mtb makers have gone over to much bigger bb shells. It has a great rolling resistance, superb suspension and additionally a slack steering head allowing easy inertion of a 48v 13ah frame battery mounted under the frame using riv nuts for the m5 mounting bolts.
The bafang motor slipped in easily after removal of the BB shell. Only slight problems being unable to use the metal dust cover over the lock ring on the left crank. Additionally on the drive side the drive chain would not centre. Not a problem just reverse the bafang 48mm chain ring and the chain lines up perfectly. I have mounted a rear rack directly onto the rear suspension unit so can carry panniers or whatever. I have an easy 35 mile range. Should the battery die on me I still have 10 sprockets on the back which combined with all the additional weight being on the bottom means its not too hard to hoof it home using pedal power. Total cost £500 for the Voodoo, £350 for the 500w bafang, £250 for the 48v battery. Total cost just over a grand for what I consider is the almost perfect full susp emtb (roll on new battery technology)...... 200 miles in and no problems to date.
Did you buy that Voodo new? It certainly looks it.

liefbike

Aug 6, 2020
I have discovered the same problem with the cover and the lock ring, although I thought Bafang said the BBS02 was suitable for both 68 and 73. Anyway having purchased a lock ring socket from Luna Cycles, and with it torqued to at least the spec, I have just been able to get the cover to thread, but not much beyond a gentle tighten with its socket.

Whilst the aftermarket motor looks fine, the battery and wiring will distinguish it as a kit bike, however not prepared to spend much more for an equivalent commercial.

How does your kit build look ?

Attachments

Fiddler

Nov 15, 2020
Liverpool
Thanks iooks like I'll have a similar range? 48 /13 ah
Might start short hand volts /amps so 13/10 or 24/7