Selling a used ebike, what are the pitfalls.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
What would you insist on/expect to find when buying a used ebike?

Apart from the usual, cleaning, polishing, lubing, tyre pressures etc, what other essential things would you do to your ebike before advertising it for sale?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just be honest and describe it accurately.
Explain if warranty is left or is transferable, some brands will transfer warranty others will give additional years for a reasonable fee. The main worry is the battery, how old it is. The range you manage and not what is expected. Explain that after 2 or 3 years a battery is in the lap of the gods on how many more years use it may have. As some of us know they can keep going for 4/5 years or more if used regularly and looked after.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Thanks guys.
Is it worth having the dealer do a service?
It's done less than 200 miles in 18 month from new and I've done all the usual maintenance/servicing so far..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Like i said if its bosch get them to do an update and get a print out. It will show all the relevant info including how many charges it has had. Not sure if other manufacturers do something similar..

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think you are going to loose enough money in depreciation on a bike with that mileage without wasting more having it serviced. As long as you can show any buyer you have a good knowledge of bike maintenance, I think that will suffice. Emphasize that you have looked after the battery properly (assuming you have) when not in use, as this would be my main concern with a bike of that age and mileage.

D

Deleted member 4366

If it's a Bosch motor, You should be able to get the battery tested and they give you a print out but they will want to charge about £40 for that.

There's no point in getting any sort of service if the bike's working OK.

If you have any accessories fitted, they don't add anything to the price of the bike, so take them off and sell them separately.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
If it's a Bosch motor, You should be able to get the battery tested and they give you a print out but they will want to charge about £40 for that.

There's no point in getting any sort of service if the bike's working OK.

If you have any accessories fitted, they don't add anything to the price of the bike, so take them off and sell them separately.
Interesting POV on accessories fitted, I would have thought they might 'help' slightly to sell it.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
I suppose it depends on how much the accessories cost. When mine was stolen it had nearly £1000 worth of extras. By buying them one at a time I tend to lose track of the overall cost..
Wow!
Thankfully we've only added about £150 of 'upgrades' to ours.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Lots of interesting points there, some I hadn't even considered, but I agree with wheeliepete, that you might be shocked by how little you will get for a second hand bike, of any sort, that spending more money on it won't necessarily give you a better return.

Good point re the accessories also esp if you are getting another bike, keep them for yourself.

I always find if you are honest with prices and descriptions it will go quickly..... but watch out for chancers be prepared to say NO, if they are trying to stiff you.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
Lots of interesting points there, some I hadn't even considered, but I agree with wheeliepete, that you might be shocked by how little you will get for a second hand bike, of any sort, that spending more money on it won't necessarily give you a better return.

Good point re the accessories also esp if you are getting another bike, keep them for yourself.

I always find if you are honest with prices and descriptions it will go quickly..... but watch out for chancers be prepared to say NO, if they are trying to stiff you.
Good advice, duly noted, thanks.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The other point with accessories is clutter - same as a house.

Take them all off, particularly with a newish bike you want the buyer to think it's like a new bike, a blank canvas, which he can make his own.

And I mean remove everything, including small things like pumps, handlebar accessory mounts, extra reflectors, etc.

As close to factory spec as you can get is your aim.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you've used it with dongle remove it and don't mention it. Sell it separately later.
Any ebike with dongle will have inaccurate mileage and battery will have been hammered.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
After failing to sell online, I lent the bike to a friend for a week of commuting, sold its self.
That was handy. Currently, no friends who would be interested in ebiking.

If you've used it with dongle remove it and don't mention it. Sell it separately later.
Any ebike with dongle will have inaccurate mileage and battery will have been hammered.
No dongle ever been fitted.
Only added a bigger cassette, lights, bottle cage, mudguards, QR seatpost clamp and Ergon grips.

Related Articles

Advertisers