Server issues/downtime

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi folks,

There seems to be a few issues at our hosting company today so the site has gone down few couple of times.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Russ

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi all,

A quick update, it appears there is a denial of service attack on our WordPress installation. I've made a few changes, why these people can't put their skills to better use is beyond me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Blimey, I'm surprised anyone's bothered with a little site like this one.

Perhaps they're practising before having a go at amazon.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And here was I thinking it was Windows again.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They will go after anything. I gave up on PHP for my boating site because I didn't have the time to patch every other day. Now I watch the logs and laugh at all the PHP exploits they are trying against plain old HTML.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You can't run a large site like this one without coding in php, you just have to keep patching it. I find that the simplest way is to ask your ISP to turn on network edge protection or harden your server.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm very sorry but you can! You can code it in JSP (or GSP - Groovy/Grails). I have never had a JSP site hacked (but according to the logs they have tried). Now for me that says something about the difference between PHP and Java as languages and their take on security.

Despite it being way more secure it is a challenge finding normal web hosting with Java/Posgresql rather than PHP/MySQL of which, you may have guessed, I have not had a very high opinion of since around 1998 or thereabouts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
don't blame the language for problems caused by WP. It only take a couple of minutes to disable XMLRPC from WP and install libapache2-mod-evasive on the server to mitigate this kind of problems. Any platform can be attacked, including Java.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how is your trip? see anything interesting?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Russ

Not sure if it's connected with the above however various aspects of the search functions are not currently working.

Reactions: jonathan75

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Have reverted to the forum's inbuilt search for now.
Was working for a while but missed out a year or so's posts.

Now:-
Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community - Error
The search could not be completed. Please try again later.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed, searched for my own posts by member name and only gave 2010 ones, nothing since.

Searching via Profile/[Posts gave the same message that you got.

C

Cyclezee

Hmm, the search facility is all a bit of a mess which is shame as I use it frequently:(

Advertisers