Shimano bb51 compatible with bbs01 etc motors

Projectebike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2021
Hi all

Settled on a mid drive kit thinking bafang bbs01 or 02. Is my shimano bb51 compatible with the bafang mid mount motors? Apologies im new to cycles but experience car mbike mech.

Regards

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Is that a hollow- tec bb with the two bits each side? if the frame is less than 73mm then it should be ok please post a pic

Projectebike

Jan 23, 2021
Hi

Thanks for the reply ive attached this picture. Hopefully it will be ok to do the conversion too. Just ordered a 20 spine socket and tool for the bb. Hopefully it will come off ok. I've never done anything on a bike bar put air in tyres.
Not sure what battery to go dor woupd 36v 10ah be ok with a bbs01?

Kind regards

Attachments

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The bbs will fit ok, the bigger the battery ah the longer the range, make a cardboard template of the frame triangle check size for fitting against the battery case style you choose the higher watt bbs02 motors need higher ah [ i learnt the hard way purchased to bigger battery to fit in the frame]

Projectebike

Jan 23, 2021
Thanks to everyone for posting up. If i get bored of the 250w bbs01 is it easy to derestrict or upgrade? Thanks for tip on the battery!!!.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes limit is adjusted via the display or by the laptop cable as you are into cars think remap
A decent battery can be almost the same price as the kit or a cheap Chinese no name option choose 15 or17 ah now they have got cheaper if you want longer range or 12- 13 ah if you want to save weight
But most of all its cell quality or brand that affects cost but most of all enjoy your build

Projectebike

Jan 23, 2021
Yes limit is adjusted via the display or by the laptop cable as you are into cars think remap
A decent battery can be almost the same price as the kit or a cheap Chinese no name option choose 15 or17 ah now they have got cheaper if you want longer range or 12- 13 ah if you want to save weight
But most of all its cell quality or brand that affects cost but most of all enjoy your build
Thanks Peter for the information i understand ive seen the usb leads for the motor. What sort of speeds will a 250w obtain on a flat road? 36v battery? Will enjoy the build. Love a project.