Shimano Octolink crank

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Hi,

My bike (Cyclotricity Revolver) will be turning up next week.

I'm gonna give it a go but I'm used to a high end mountain bike, so I'm expecting to be disappointed in the bike it's self (rather that the motor). Ultimately I will be looking to transfer the kit to my Trek 6300. The biggest issue I think I'll have will be fitting the pedelec sensor as the crank is a Octolink type, whereas I believe that the sensor only fits the square taper style.

Anyone had any experience of fitting to this type of crank?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I've fitted one to an Octalink crank. You have to drill out the middle of the magnet disk but make it a tight fit on the shaft. If it came loose, you could always use a bit of hot-melt glue or epoxy to hold it in place. This Octalink is on my main bike now, but I don't like it. It's always creaking and groaning. I've had it apart and greased everything, which makes it quiet for a while, but then the noise comes back. You can't tighten it like a square taper one. I think I'll change it for a hollowtech, which is much better. When I checked on the various MTB forums, loads of people were complaining about the creaking.