Shimano Steps E8000 - Pedal Resistance

Dizer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2019
I'm planning to buy an ebike with a Shimano Steps E8000 motor.

As this motor is restricted on 25km/h and i often want to cycle faster than 25km/h, it is important for me that the motor has no resistance.

Does anyone know this?

I know that the Bosch Active Line Plus has practically no resistance, i hope that this is the same with the E8000 motor.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've had one ride on a Steps bike, although I think it was the E6001 version, it felt the same as my Bosch Classic in that you could ride above 16 mph but was hard going, a combination of hub gears, hybrid tyres and poor aero, slight motor drag and the weight of the bike. Try before buying would be my advice

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
As above
Try before you buy
What I can tell you from the last 500 or so miles on an e8000 is the ease of pedaling off power especially compared to my last small cog motor

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu and E-Wheels

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
As above
Try before you buy
What I can tell you from the last 500 or so miles on an e8000 is the ease of pedaling off power especially compared to my last small cog motor
Thanks, and how is the battery life with the e8000?

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
What sort of cycling do you want it for? If you plan to go mostly over 25kph I assume it's mainly on road so you might like to look at the lighter zero resist road bikes like the Orbea Gain or Cannondale Synapse Neo.

I'm not sure about the Shimano steps but both the Yahama PW and Bosch 3rd gen ALP motors are zero resist. But whether you will easily be able to pedal them much quicker than the limit depends on your fitness, weight and terrain.

I have an ALP but on a heavy Cube Touring bike. About 30kg with panniers on. I can manage up to about 30kph on flat good tarmac but it does require some effort. I usually commute around 26/27kph on those roads instead. And as most of my commute is on cycle paths and canal bank my average is only around 20kph.

As for battery, unless you dongle it, range shouldn't be an issue. I recently did a 100km Sportive on my Cube (fully laden) with 4500 feet of elevation and had 2 full bars of the battery left (out of 5) at the end.

If you are already fairly fit, you should be able to ride all day with a 500W/hr battery unless you are really hammering the assist for some reason....

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
What sort of cycling do you want it for? If you plan to go mostly over 25kph I assume it's mainly on road so you might like to look at the lighter zero resist road bikes like the Orbea Gain or Cannondale Synapse Neo.

I'm not sure about the Shimano steps but both the Yahama PW and Bosch 3rd gen ALP motors are zero resist. But whether you will easily be able to pedal them much quicker than the limit depends on your fitness, weight and terrain.

I have an ALP but on a heavy Cube Touring bike. About 30kg with panniers on. I can manage up to about 30kph on flat good tarmac but it does require some effort. I usually commute around 26/27kph on those roads instead. And as most of my commute is on cycle paths and canal bank my average is only around 20kph.

As for battery, unless you dongle it, range shouldn't be an issue. I recently did a 100km Sportive on my Cube (fully laden) with 4500 feet of elevation and had 2 full bars of the battery left (out of 5) at the end.

If you are already fairly fit, you should be able to ride all day with a 500W/hr battery unless you are really hammering the assist for some reason....
I have done 1400 miles with my Bosch ALP and until recently the pedal resistance when 'off' was brilliant - ie virtually non-existent. But recently I am getting occasional bouts of resistance. Usually these are mild but twice now it's got so bad that on level ground in 2nd bottom gear I could hardly pedal. The Bosch diagnostic shows no errors stored and of course it never does it when I try to demonstrate it to the dealer. Think I will start a separate thread to gather other experiences.
Mike

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Thanks, and how is the battery life with the e8000?
Really good
A lot better than the 3 previous cx motors I've had
Obviously it depends on your effort as a cyclist but as a direct comparison the e8000 is definitely a bit more frugal
Don't forget thou that the cx is up on power at 75nm where as the e8000 is 70nm not that I can honestly say I've noticed as yet

Dizer

Feb 7, 2019
Really good
A lot better than the 3 previous cx motors I've had
Obviously it depends on your effort as a cyclist but as a direct comparison the e8000 is definitely a bit more frugal
Don't forget thou that the cx is up on power at 75nm where as the e8000 is 70nm not that I can honestly say I've noticed as yet
I'm trying to decide between one of the below bikes as a daily cycle for home-work distance. Both have their advantages.

Winora Sinus iR8f
  • Bosch Active Plus
  • Nexus 8
  • Gates belt
  • 500Wh

Pegasus Opero Evo 10
  • Shimano STEPS E8000
  • Deore 11 speed derailleur
  • 750Wh (2x 375Wh)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have done 1400 miles with my Bosch ALP and until recently the pedal resistance when 'off' was brilliant - ie virtually non-existent. But recently I am getting occasional bouts of resistance. Usually these are mild but twice now it's got so bad that on level ground in 2nd bottom gear I could hardly pedal. The Bosch diagnostic shows no errors stored and of course it never does it when I try to demonstrate it to the dealer. Think I will start a separate thread to gather other experiences.
Mike
That's not normal, and I've not heard of it before. Two possibilities I can think of. firstly, a pedal bearing needs attention. that's pretty easy to test by spinning the pedals. Secondly, something has got caught behind the chainwheel. Unclip the chain from the chainwheel and drop it out the way, then turn the crank by hand. that should give you some idea if there is any resistance and whether the main bearing needs attention.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I'm trying to decide between one of the below bikes as a daily cycle for home-work distance. Both have their advantages.

Winora Sinus iR8f
  • Bosch Active Plus
  • Nexus 8
  • Gates belt
  • 500Wh

Pegasus Opero Evo 10
  • Shimano STEPS E8000
  • Deore 11 speed derailleur
  • 750Wh (2x 375Wh)
It basically comes down to power with that choice
As both would serve you well
Do you live in a hilly area or fairly flat ?

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
That's not normal, and I've not heard of it before. Two possibilities I can think of. firstly, a pedal bearing needs attention. that's pretty easy to test by spinning the pedals. Secondly, something has got caught behind the chainwheel. Unclip the chain from the chainwheel and drop it out the way, then turn the crank by hand. that should give you some idea if there is any resistance and whether the main bearing needs attention.
Thanks - it should be even easier as I have a quicklink so I will remove the chain and try it. The treacle effect seems to come on over a period of 2 or 3 seconds and most of the time is not there. Would a bearing problem feel like that?
Mike

Advertisers