Shimano Steps running smaller tires

emco5

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Seattle
Has anyone gone through the process of changing the programming in a Steps system so it recognizes smaller tires? If so, can I please get a brief overview of what needs to be done? My bike shipped with 26 x 2.00 tires and I'd like to switch to 26 x 1.5, and I want the speedometer and odometer to remain accurate.

Reactions: PaulNorwich

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Has anyone gone through the process of changing the programming in a Steps system so it recognizes smaller tires? If so, can I please get a brief overview of what needs to be done? My bike shipped with 26 x 2.00 tires and I'd like to switch to 26 x 1.5, and I want the speedometer and odometer to remain accurate.
... The speedometer is set for the diameter of the wheel and since the diameter of your wheel remained at 26 inches no change is necessary. The 2.00 and 1.5 refer to the width of the tyre and while this affects roadholding and friction, it doesn't affect a speedometer. The speed of the bike is calculated by counting the revolution s of the wheel and dividing by time.

emco5

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Seattle
... The speedometer is set for the diameter of the wheel and since the diameter of your wheel remained at 26 inches no change is necessary......
Thank you for the feedback. A 1.50" tire has a shorter aspect ratio than a 2.00" tire, and the resulting reduced circumference will make the wheel turn more revolutions per mile. This can be observed with a 'rollout test'. Sheldon Brown produced some good info on the subject https://tinyurl.com/kzo28of

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how about mentally subtract 3% to account for 1.5" tyres?
Treat 10.3 miles on the LCD as 10 miles when on 1.5" tyres.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Select a route of of at least two miles that's as straight as possible and ride it on the present tyres, noting the exact distance reading.

After changing the tyres repeat that route riding in exactly the same manner, speed etc, noting the distance.

Then turn the difference into a percentage and apply that percentage difference to your wheel dimension setting.

That's what I do and I have a set 4.9 mile route for the purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: E-Wheels

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thank you for the feedback. A 1.50" tire has a shorter aspect ratio than a 2.00" tire, and the resulting reduced circumference will make the wheel turn more revolutions per mile. This can be observed with a 'rollout test'. Sheldon Brown produced some good info on the subject https://tinyurl.com/kzo28of
... According to that website the difference is around 3% , and will depend on inflation, brand , weight on bike, age of tyre. And probably even the weather and your altitude. I am tempted to say get a life. It doesn't change the distance you have to travel, the likely hood of being caught for speeding .
To put it into context there is a constant 10% discrepancy between the distance travelled and the posted speed on my Peugeot 3008.

emco5

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2016
Seattle
... I am tempted to say get a life.....
Interesting attitudes from you fellows. It appears that you haven't "gone through the process of changing the programming in a Steps system". So, I apologize for the apparent technical overload and will leave you to yourselves.

Reactions: Gringo

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
Hi Emco5
If you do find an answer to your query can you please let us know - I intend to fit larger tyres on my wife's Shimano Steps powered Scott and would prefer to have the correct speed showing.

Vance Payne

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Canada
Interesting attitudes from you fellows. It appears that you haven't "gone through the process of changing the programming in a Steps system". So, I apologize for the apparent technical overload and will leave you to yourselves.

Were you able to find anymore information about setting the wheel circumference?

Barry Williams

Just Joined
Jan 19, 2018
Auckland
Any update on this. I recently had my 6000 motor replaced under warranty due to some play in the cranks and I've noticed that with the new motor the distance readout on the computer is now greater than it used to be for the same journey. This leads me to suspect that the wheel circumference is set too large.
It wouldn't bother me except that it now means that the power is assist cutting out at a lower speed because it thinks it is already at 25kmh.
I stood with the mechanic in the bike shop with bike hooked up to the computer using the E tube project software and there didn't seem to be anywhere to set the wheel circumference.

Advertisers