Shipping an Ebike/ Taking it on holiday

James Smalley

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2016
Good Day folks.

So I am currently looking to purchase an ebike, and my mind comes about to how easy it is to take the bike overseas, by plane.

Usually I pack my bike into a box and take it to the airport with me as well as my luggage case, pay a specific extra charge, as its an over size case etc. it goes in the hold and I pick it up along with my bags.

But how would I go on with the battery's. I understand airlines aren't happy with shipping batteries and most flag Ebikes for that reason. However, from my memory I dont recall ever being asked about battieries or whether I have to declare it as an ebike. Has anyone found ebike friendly airlines? or any guidelines/ pointers?

Cheers

Jim

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a definite no now. I did have DHL quickly fly one undeclared from China direct to me in the UK after the first concerns about lithium batteries arose, but that was in one of their own Boeing freighters (which are mostly very ancient anyway! :rolleyes:).

I think they'd be more astute about them now though.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I did come across someone who had their ebike regularly carried in the hold when travelling, describing it as their mobility aid. They were in our workshop for a major repair under insurance after the airline had pretty much destroyed the bike though... (wasn't a Juicy)
I wouldn't risk it!

Reactions: James Smalley

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
The 36v 4ah 144 Wh power tool battery's that I use seem to fit in the 2nd category.Between 100 -160 Wh.Max 2 per person.They might think my wiring harness is part of a bomb though.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All couriers have suspended their delivery service into the EU.
The only way to take your e-bike to the EU at the moment is in your car.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
All couriers have suspended their delivery service into the EU.
The only way to take your e-bike to the EU at the moment is in your car.
It looks as if lorry drivers currently caught in (or fairly near) Dover have another impediment to getting away, the weather. If they don't make it by New Year are they likely to be turned away because they haven't filled in all the the new paperwork? Perhaps a kindly charity will deliver paperwork to their cabs and they can pass the time trying to understand it.

Advertisers