shopping list please!

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
following on from previous thread and as suggested, im now leaning towards rear hub motor. from reading a few older threads (2017 so not sure if its still the one to go for) but it seems the Q128C motor is a good choice to pair with an XC/Hardtail bike for light trails/general commuting. Id like it to be a weekend toy as well as eventually a daily commuter on country roads.

I dont really know too much about it but i assume it would need a battery, but can someone give me a shopping list of what I would need? i weigh around 128kg and i hear the Q128C 48v 201rpm is a good choice (but this was a 2 year old thread so any better suggestions are welcome)
thanks!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
is 26" the only option on them?
we have them in both 26" and 700C rims.

and does that come as a complete kit eg with the display, the switch for power output, battery etc?
yes, the whole kit, you don't need to buy anything else. The kit contains all the small items like rivnuts for your downtube, heat shrink sleeving and cableties for tidying up the wiring.
We usually ask for a few pictures and advise you on the choice of brake sensors and pedal sensors. These options don't cost anything extra.
If you don't install the throttle, you don't need to install the brake sensors.
We are out of stock of the 48V controllers right this moment, they are stuck in Shanghai because of the corona virus, so there may be a week or two delay on them.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
we have them in both 26" and 700C rims.

yes, the whole kit, you don't need to buy anything else. The kit contains all the small items like rivnuts for your downtube, heat shrink sleeving and cableties for tidying up the wiring.
We usually ask for a few pictures and advise you on the choice of brake sensors and pedal sensors. These options don't cost anything extra.
If you don't install the throttle, you don't need to install the brake sensors.
We are out of stock of the 48V controllers right this moment, they are stuck in Shanghai because of the corona virus, so there may be a week or two delay on them.
im not looking to purchase just yet. hopefully around june time as im still trying to get a bike (let down on 3) cant decide between a cube aim or a specialized hardrock/rockhopper. I assume you have seen or converted these yourself?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, they are all easy to work on.
By all means, choose one with plenty of room inside the triangle and a bottom bracket that has external ballbearings.
Square taper bottom brackets are sometimes difficult to remove because the cups seize up inside the shell and the cranks stuck to the axle. You usually don't have to remove them but there are cases when you have to.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
yes, they are all easy to work on.
By all means, choose one with plenty of room inside the triangle and a bottom bracket that has external ballbearings.
Square taper bottom brackets are sometimes difficult to remove because the cups seize up inside the shell and the cranks stuck to the axle. You usually don't have to remove them but there are cases when you have to.
Aye that's why I wanted to double check if those particular models had been converted previously to ensure there was enough clearance etc. Thanks mate.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just want to double check, this is the bike I've picked up in the end, a 2015 trek xcaliber 9. Will this kit fit?
yes, the 48V SWX02 will fit but I have a question for you: how many gears have you got on your X-Caliber? This is because the 48V SWX02 motor has thread for a freewheel instead of cassette adapter and SJS only stocks Sunrace 8, 9 and 10-speed freewheel, not 11-speed freewheel.
The alternative is the DWG22C which has a cassette adapter for your 10-speed or 11-speed cassette. This one has been modified for me to give higher torque than the normal version but a bit less torquey compared to the 48V SWX02 kit.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
yes, the 48V SWX02 will fit but I have a question for you: how many gears have you got on your X-Caliber? This is because the 48V SWX02 motor has thread for a freewheel instead of cassette adapter and SJS only stocks Sunrace 8, 9 and 10-speed freewheel, not 11-speed freewheel.
The alternative is the DWG22C which has a cassette adapter for your 10-speed or 11-speed cassette. This one has been modified for me to give higher torque than the normal version but a bit less torquey compared to the 48V SWX02 kit.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
2 x 10 speed - that's good news.
You can use either 48V SWX02 in stock or the DWG22C at the end of the month. If you go with the SWX02, you'll need to get this part:
If you get the DWG22C, you can re-use the existing cassette.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does this kit differ significantly from the woosh swx02 kit?
yes, a fair bit.
- it's a collection of parts, not a properly worked out kit. Mine is neat and tidy.
- his battery is 48V 10AH, mine 48V 12AH, 20% more charge
- his kit (500W) is not road legal
- he doesn't specify the model and winding code of his motor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And what was the DWG22C kit you referred to is that a mid drive or a rear hub?
The 48V 250W DWG22C is made by Shengyi, the road legal version of their DWG22 made for us, direct replacement for the 48V SWX02 that we sell but with a cassette fitting:

http://www.syimotor.com/productDe_3.html

The shipment arrives in a few days. I'll post it on the website after checking.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
The 48V 250W DWG22C is made by Shengyi, the road legal version of their DWG22 made for us, direct replacement for the 48V SWX02 that we sell but with a cassette fitting:

http://www.syimotor.com/productDe_3.html

The shipment arrives in a few days. I'll post it on the website after checking.
Ah grand. Any idea of the pricing for that at the moment? I think the swx02 with the 17ah battery was around 580?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the 48V DWG22C with 48V 12AH HL downtube battery costs the same as the 48V SWX02 with the same battery and controller, £569. The only real difference is the cassette fitting. I don't know why Bafang want much more money to change the motor lid!
Both kits are on the OOCL Indonesia, docking at Felixstowe on the 12th. They will be on my online shop as soon as we check them out, probably this Friday or next Monday.

The 36V SWX02 is in stock but 30% less torquey compared to the 48V version.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
do you have a link for the DWG22C with the 17a battery? In 700c/29er rim. Had a quick look and cant find it, dont want to mess up
sorry Stephen.
my DWG22C kit runs with only one battery option at the moment, 48V 12AH HL downtube battery.
On the positive side, I have it in 26", 700C and 650B rims.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-241-dwg22c-48v12ah/shengyi-dwg22c-48v-250w-rear-hub-kit-with-48v-12ah-battery

Specifications
MotorShengyi DWG22C. Compared to the Bafang SWX02, the Shengyi motor is 0.5kg heavier but has stronger torque at low speed.
PowerNominal power: 250W
Maximum instantaneous power: about 750W
CassetteCompatible with all Shimano cassettes
7-speed cassette needs 3mm spacer
Rear dropout135mm (can also fit 140mm dropout)
VoltageDC 48 Volts
Limit current (max. continuous)17 Amps
Motor WeightBafang DWG22C: 4.5kgs, 5kgs total with rim and spokes
Rim26" double-wall with 13G stainless spokes
Disc brakes compatibilityYes, standard 6 bolts for 180mm/203mm rotor mounting

it's basically a clone for the Bafang BPM CST.

Stephenmacleod

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2019
Cumbria
sorry Stephen.
my DWG22C kit runs with only one battery option at the moment, 48V 12AH HL downtube battery.
On the positive side, I have it in 26", 700C and 650B rims.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-241-dwg22c-48v12ah/shengyi-dwg22c-48v-250w-rear-hub-kit-with-48v-12ah-battery

Specifications
MotorShengyi DWG22C. Compared to the Bafang SWX02, the Shengyi motor is 0.5kg heavier but has stronger torque at low speed.
PowerNominal power: 250W
Maximum instantaneous power: about 750W
CassetteCompatible with all Shimano cassettes
7-speed cassette needs 3mm spacer
Rear dropout135mm (can also fit 140mm dropout)
VoltageDC 48 Volts
Limit current (max. continuous)17 Amps
Motor WeightBafang DWG22C: 4.5kgs, 5kgs total with rim and spokes
Rim26" double-wall with 13G stainless spokes
Disc brakes compatibilityYes, standard 6 bolts for 180mm/203mm rotor mounting

it's basically a clone for the Bafang BPM CST.
Ah okay, so I'm guessing it's a trade for battery life (and range) is it a big improvement over the swx02? I dont really understand the difference apologies

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
is it a big improvement over the swx02? I dont really understand the difference apologies
No. They differ mainly on the cassette or freewheel.
If you have a freewheel (typically 3 x 7-speed), then SWX02.
If you have more speed, 3x8, 3x9, 3x10, 2x10 etc then DWG22C.

SWX02:
Note the thread for a freewheel: