Help! short circuiting 3 hall sensor wires with red wire - motor hall sensor

naveen reddy

Just Joined
May 30, 2019
I have a question . what happens if we remove hall sensors and short circuit BLUE YELLOW GREEN and RED?. i am asking this question because when we rotate the motor, check the voltage between ground(black) and signal wire, we have same voltage as we seen between positive(red) and ground(black). Does motor works by short circuiting B,Y, G, R wires and leaving black wire without any connection?
Thank you

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't short the Hall wires!
If you don't want to use the Hall sensors, leave them unconnected.
The signal wire is switched between the 5V supply and ground, depending on the position of the magnets.
Most motors use 9-pin waterproof connectors. 3 large pins for the phase wires, 5 for the Hall sensors and one for the optional speed sensor.
If you use the kit without Hall, connect only the phase wires (thick yellow blue and green) and optionally the speedometer wire (white).

naveen reddy

Just Joined
May 30, 2019
'Most motors use 9-pin waterproof connectors. 3 large pins for the phase wires, 5 for the Hall sensors and one for the optional speed sensor' yes i have this type. My controller runs with hall sensors. My motor hall sensors are damaged so i removed them. Is there any chance that i can manipulate my controller and run my motor without hall sensors.
thanks for quick reply

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a lot of controllers have automatic Hall sensor detection, if you disconnect the sensors, the motor will still run although there are exceptions.
All the large direct drive beasts won't work without Hall, their starting torque is too low to rev up the motor without the sensors The controller cannot sense correctly where the magnet poles are until the motor spins up a bit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can run your motor with a sensorless or dual-mode controller. There are loads on Ebay. You need to let us know which type of control panel you have to be able to advise an exact one.

Your motor will work OK with a sensorless controller, but not as good as with a sensored one.

You might already have a dual-mode controller.

When you say you removed your hall sensors, do you mean that you physically uninstalled them from the motor core? How did you determine that they were faulty? Did you test with the wheel turning backwards?

naveen reddy

Just Joined
May 30, 2019
Suddenly my ebike stopped working. i checked the voltage between ground and signal wire by rotating wheel. i found one of them was faulty. i removed the hall sensors along with circuit board completely from motor core. I accidentally broken circuit board into two pieces. i didn't find new one for replacement. i am planning to connect hall sensors by wires now by looking at the circuit board and drawing circuit diagram. i ordered hall sensors i am waiting for delivery. meanwhile i want to know is there any alternate ways to make motor work without hall sensors. Thanks you very much

Advertisers