Should I buy the Volt Pulse?

johnmc

Just Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Volt Pulse? I've test ridden both the Pulse and Alpine and they ride great but not tried them on hills. I'm planning on using this for commuting to work which will be approx 12-13 miles each way and will have a number of nasty hills on the way.

Thanks

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've not tried a Volt, but in my experience the climbing ability of most legal ebikes is about the same.

Twenty-six miles most days is fairly hard use for any bike, things are bound to wear and break over time.

The services of a good dealer will be important, so buying a Volt from a shop is good move.

Full mudguards and a rack is best for commuting which means the Pulse is the better spec than the Alpine.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Volt Pulse? I've test ridden both the Pulse and Alpine and they ride great but not tried them on hills. I'm planning on using this for commuting to work which will be approx 12-13 miles each way and will have a number of nasty hills on the way.

Thanks
the few nasty hills you mentioned may be a problem for the Volt battery.
The battery of the Pulse is 36V 12AH, you'll need to keep 20% reserve for optimal battery life, leaving you with 345WH assistance.
Your commute is 26 miles. Allow 10WH per mile against air and rolling resistance, you are left with 85 WH for climbing.
The Pulse may be OK if the total elevation between your home and work is 85M or less. Each metre takes 0.5WH one way, 1WH both way. You need roughly the same battery power on your way home to get through those hills.
Keep also in mind that battery capacity also decreases with time. Roughly speaking, after 500 charges, it is 80% of the original capacity. Each time you charge, you lose about 0.2WH.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've not tried a Volt, but in my experience the climbing ability of most legal ebikes is about the same.
That's not my experience at all. The good climbers are:
Hub-motors
Woosh big Bear
Kudos Tornado and Arriba
Ezee Bikes (not the cheap ones)
BH Emotion Neos
KTM with Panasonic hub-motor

Crank Motors
Any Kalkhoff Impulse
Any bike with Bosch system
Any bike with 36v Panasonic

All these bikes have considerably more climbing power than an average bike with the small SWX-sized hub-motor. They're all rated at 250w and are as legal as anything.

The advert says Bafang 250w Power motor, which doesn't look as big as the BPMs and CSTs in the list above, so probably a SWX. Therefore expect the same climbing power as a Woosh Sirocco or Kudos Cobra.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
IMO crank drives are particularly suitable for long commutes because you can easily derestrict them for higher speed on flat roads whereas hub motors are inherently limited by their RPM. Another point, I have to see a Chinese ebike with good enough quality drive and gear components for heavy use, above 3000 miles per annum.

C

Cyclezee

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

Another point, I have to see a Chinese ebike with good enough quality drive and gear components for heavy use, above 3000 miles per annum.
Are you talking about the motors or the gear-set and chain? If your talking about motors, my Bpm has done over 3000 miles. Bazwaldo has done about 12000 miles on his Bearprint with SWX motor. I heard that the Bafang test spec is 40,000 miles.

I've never heard of the drive-train components wearing on a Chinese bike. The only common fault is the cheapo BB set on some of them.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's not my experience at all. The good climbers are:
Hub-motors
Woosh big Bear
Kudos Tornado and Arriba
Ezee Bikes (not the cheap ones)
BH Emotion Neos
KTM with Panasonic hub-motor

Crank Motors
Any Kalkhoff Impulse
Any bike with Bosch system
Any bike with 36v Panasonic.
Careful Dave, there's a few snobs' bikes on your list.

johnmc

Just Joined
Jan 1, 2014
Hi All,
Thanks for your responces. I think there is a good chance I wil be able to recharge the battery whilst at work maybe the journey shouldnt be so bad? I guess another question is are there better electric bikes out there for £1349?
I havent riden it but the Wisper 905 classic looks pretty good but is more expensive?
Cheers
John

C

Cyclezee

Hi
Hi All,
Thanks for your responces. I think there is a good chance I wil be able to recharge the battery whilst at work maybe the journey shouldnt be so bad? I guess another question is are there better electric bikes out there for £1349?
I havent riden it but the Wisper 905 classic looks pretty good but is more expensive?
Cheers
John
Hi John,

The eZee bikes are within your budget and worthy of consideration.

Regards,

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Best advice is to try several bikes and see what suits you best. I ride the KTM Panasonic hub drive as I like having plenty of gears (27 or 30) and the performance on hills. Good luck with your search