Should you buy from 50Cycles?

50Cycles victim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2019
I did (Cube Kathmandu), less than a year ago. It's approaching the point where it needs servicing at 2K miles. A few weeks back I popped over to the local shop where I bought it in Shoreham by Sea and found NO Cube bikes on display but a sparse selection of another brand. I received an evasive answer as to why this might be.

Shortly afterward I returned to ask about something and found an empty shop. I believe this is known as a "moonlit flit" in the dodgy trader's lexicon.

50Cycles gave no warning about the impending closure of this shop.

Buy your e-Bike somewhere else unless you don't mind having no recourse to help from the vendor. You may just as well buy online - or from a reputable dealer who has a track record of viability.

Nice it may be that 50Cycles supply bikes to Glastonbury but it would be even more impressive if they could support their existing customer base.

There may be some response from this company intended to justify their behaviour (on the phone they told me that there was an inadequate level of business at the branch). But the facts remain the facts. They are extremely flaky - as even one of their staff once told me, albeit too late to buy elsewhere.

You have been warned.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Week before last I noticed the empty shop as I cycled past.
50 cyclce's post Panasonic/Bosch era have had a bad rep with the Impulse range.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I see it is references as Company status: Voluntary Arrangement at Companies House; eg insolvent. Still advertising online, so beware.

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
Week before last I noticed the empty shop as I cycled past.
50 cyclce's post Panasonic/Bosch era have had a bad rep with the Impulse range.
I noticed it the same way at around the same time.

There was a noticeable slow down in activity within the shop for weeks beforehand, though.

They seemed to be unable to cope against competition from two other major e-bike retailers within a few miles' radius, despite having a prime position location-wise.

Sad to see something fail, especially in what should be a thriving market.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
any shop will be forced to take on several brands to compose their shop window but they don't all sell like hot cakes. Sooner or later, slow moving stock is going to hit their cashflow and bottom line.
A thriving market attracts the big boys (something beginning with H).
They can offer reasonable prices online and now and then, festivity discounts to clear their slow moving stock and thus take out a few competitors with cashflow problems.

50Cycles victim

Jul 7, 2019
I noticed it the same way at around the same time.

There was a noticeable slow down in activity within the shop for weeks beforehand, though.

They seemed to be unable to cope against competition from two other major e-bike retailers within a few miles' radius, despite having a prime position location-wise.

Thanks for the responses.
A minor correction. One competitor is directly opposite across the road, the other (Big "G") a literal stone's throw away and clearly visible from the location. There is another large shop, starting with "H" about half a mile away along the same road. I don't recall the order in which these shops were established but one would have to question the sanity of whoever started the fourth of these operations.
Meanwhile, what should I do about getting my Cube's 2K service done? How much and how critical?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Meanwhile, what should I do about getting my Cube's 2K service done? How much and how critical?
Any cycle dealer can service all the bike parts, and a good one with a bike agency using Bosch motors like yours will be a good choice for services.

At 2000 miles it's not critical, so you can take your time finding a suitable dealer in Bosch equipped bikes.

Last edited:

50Cycles victim

Jul 7, 2019
Thanks to all for the response.
I'm trying to decide which local(ish) dealer to use. One has suggested that the warranty on Bosch systems is for 2 years. Can anyone confirm that? I have a slight concern about the crank bearings which seem to me to be a little - what's the word? - not rough exactly but not quite as smooth as I'd expect.

How I regret having bought from 50Cycles...

Having had quite a lot of experience with mechanical engineering in diverse fields over a long life I'm considering buying any tools necessary to enable me to maintain the non-electric components of this bike. Is there such a thing as a Bosch service manual which can be obtained by a non-agent?
Roy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosch warranty is a rolling 2 year one if it is triggered before each anniversary.