Shoulder ache, handle bars too wide

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Since I have been hammering around on my Haibike Trekking 4.0, I have had neck and shoulder aches. My neck muscles were sore and it was affecting my posture, giving me some cracking head aches. I couldn't figure out what it was as I had never had them before and been cycling for many years. It took me a while to figure it out, but the handle bars at 725mm wide were just too wide. I was reaching out too far. I cut them down to 600 and the bike not only looks more balanced, but it is easier in traffic and my shoulder ache is receding.

Just thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Horses for courses every one is different, and not just handle bars can help.

I have gone from wide (720) straightish with 9deg set back to wide (720) 45 deg sweep for comfort, numb thumb/ wrist sensation no longer suffered.
I have pretty much got seat height and spd/cleat adjustment about spot on and the handle bar change is now the final part to relieve any pressure.

Saddle position and height can make a difference even 5 mm adjustment can be the difference between comfort positions, just involves trail and error set up some times.

Reactions: Slartibartfast

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I suspect I have the same issue. While going uphill, it feels like my shoulder is going to pop out, then of course I appreciate the wide bars on the downhill portions. Need to find a medium.