Sign of the times

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You shouldn't generalise Alex, London is a very large collection of villages, each with it's own unique character, and only a tiny minority are like Peckham, a notorious crime area. I've happily lived in two London boroughs, aka villages, for over 45 years without falling prey to crime other than two very minor petty matters. Both those were types commonplace everywhere in Britain and as much due to my own careless fault as anything else.

During that 45 years I've read of a variety of crimes in your area including multiple murders, but I've no doubt that is not the norm there any more than it is here in London.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It's the general attitude of people on the streets which I'm referring to more than the particular crime cited. My view's unchanged. The whole of the South East of England (and much of Central England too) is getting on for the same sort of feeling now - I lived over that side of the country for the best part of 15 years. Glad to be far away from it and each time I went near London (rich and poorer areas) it felt worse. Each to their own.

Peckham unconscious cyclist iPhone theft: Woman, 52, arrested over theft of phone and wallet at junction of Nigel Road and Rye Lane | Metro News

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
2:15am that's what gets me, I know crime isn't avoidable but unless they are also looking for a road traffic accident/hit and run then I suspect he was cycling home drunk to the point he passed out or crashed. I'm not saying it's mega awful as I have also cycled home after a few but the crime doesn't jump out at me tbh

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
2:15am that's what gets me, I know crime isn't avoidable but unless they are also looking for a road traffic accident/hit and run then I suspect he was cycling home drunk to the point he passed out or crashed. I'm not saying it's mega awful as I have also cycled home after a few but the crime doesn't jump out at me tbh
Not necessarily, I work shifts and quite often cycle home at 2/3/4am. More likely that the villain was under the influence!

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Not necessarily, I work shifts and quite often cycle home at 2/3/4am. More likely that the villain was under the influence!
I guess you often take stops to be "lying unconscious in street" on the way home...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's said to be in a critical condition, I wonder why they "believe" his wallet i-phone and cigarettes were stolen.

If I was in a critical condition I doubt I'd be doing a stocktake of my possessions while struggling to survive.

As ever with media stories, some cynicism is advisable in the absence of reliable full information.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
He's said to be in a critical condition, I wonder why they "believe" his wallet i-phone and cigarettes were stolen.

If I was in a critical condition I doubt I'd be doing a stocktake of my possessions while struggling to survive.

As ever with media stories, some cynicism is advisable in the absence of reliable full information.
"Believe" is police-speak for "know" but can't say for legal reasons. The alleged victim will probably be asked to make a statement to the effect that he hadn't given the goods to the alleged thief. Until then, that possibility still exists.

I may be wrong but I can't help but feel that there is a some bias against the cyclist here. Without a shred of evidence he is assumed to be drunk and in some sense asking for it. Perhaps it would be better to wait for him to regain conciousness before hanging him out to dry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was the critical condition I was questioning rather than the police use of belief. I couldn't imagine anyone in a truly critical condition checking their possessions and listing the missing ones for the police.

I agree on the cyclist, he could well have taken a tumble in the dark for any number of reasons, bike part failure, obstruction or oil on the road, pothole or drain cover missing etc.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I guess you often take stops to be "lying unconscious in street" on the way home...
No I don't lie unconscious in the street. But then neither did this guy.

If you took the time to read the story he was knocked off his bike and left unconscious, doesn't mention anything about drink.

If you're going to be dismissive, at least have the courteousy to read the story properly!

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
No I don't lie unconscious in the street. But then neither did this guy.

If you took the time to read the story he was knocked off his bike and left unconscious, doesn't mention anything about drink.

If you're going to be dismissive, at least have the courteousy to read the story properly!
I don't know if you took the time to read all of it but here it is.
If you're going to be dismissive, at least have the courteousy to read the post properly!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Pah; it's getting to be that an honest pickpocket can't have a decent rifle of someone's pockets without being on the telly. Bleedin' CCTV all over the place.

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought that the implication was that he was knocked off his bike by someone that was working with the robbers.

RichB

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
I thought that the implication was that he was knocked off his bike by someone that was working with the robbers.
Agreed, the article implies he was knocked off.
But I'll bow to Inspector Clouseau, he was clearly drunk...:confused:

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Agreed, the article implies he was knocked off.
But I'll bow to Inspector Clouseau, he was clearly drunk...:confused:
Absolutely, I don't know why he is in hospital, clearly jail is the right place.

Advertisers