Simon Cowell recovering from near six-hour surgery after scary e-bike crash

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I found this today, which may interest some here:-

Original web link:-

Simon Cowell was in surgery for nearly six hours on Saturday after breaking his back in a horrible bike crash.
Sources told Page Six that the “America’s Got Talent” star is now recovering at his Malibu, California, home following the accident.
A source said: “It was a long surgery, they had to fuse his bones and implant a rod.
“But thank goodness he’s going to be okay and will have a few months of recovery.”
Cowell, 60, was rushed to hospital after falling straight on his back as he tested out a new electric bike in the courtyard of his home, the source added.
“Simon has broken his back and will be having surgery this evening,” a rep for Cowell confirmed on Saturday night.
“Simon had a fall from his bike on Saturday afternoon whilst testing his new electric bike in the courtyard at his house in Malibu with his family,” the rep added.
Cowell has spent lockdown with his girlfriend Lauren Silverman and their 6-year-old son Eric, as well as her 14-year-old son Adam from a previous relationship.
He turned to biking after embracing a get-fit regimen that saw him lose 60 pounds over the past few years.
He recently told Extra: “I think I have dropped, since I started this diet a year ago, 60 pounds.”

I myself am not a fan of him, but I do wish him a full recovery.
Regards
Andy

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Posted earlier today on the Brexit thread Andy. Wonder what he was doing to come off in such a manner ?

Reactions: Andy-Mat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Posted earlier today on the Brexit thread Andy. Wonder what he was doing to come off in such a manner ?
Since he fell flat onto his back, likely to be an overdone wheelie, turning right over the top backwards.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Since he fell flat onto his back, likely to be an overdone wheelie, turning right over the top backwards.
Not really enough height. I reckon more likely he went over the bars, which throws you up high first. Maybe he bought a new bike and it had European brakes, so when he applied the back brake he went straight over, like I did once, or something stuck in his front wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I bet it wasn't a modest 250v 15mph commuter bike being in the States and on his own property . Apparently he has low blood pressure and this can cause fainting (he has fallen before) , though no evidence it happened in this case.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
No matter who it is I wish the guy as good a recovery as possible , shall be no fun having to endure such an Op ..im guessing maybe going bit too fast and breaking too quickly ?

as someone said back brakes can be a bit much in UK , as back braking
very sudden to stop and next thing well can go over the handle bars
but maybe trying a wheelie ?..thing is on any bike id always when going slow
try out the brakes on the straight this before going on any busier roads

and stopping to a dead halt is something I don't like .

The bike I have used for many years now when slowing down or stopping i use both front and back braking slowly , and feel myself slowing to what I want until I come to a stop ..
or if going down a steep hill I tend to have my hands on both brakes as nothing would be worse than going dead fast down a hill and then having to stop for whatever in way ..

Reactions: gsm.terra

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Maybe one of those over powered US bikes, and it caught him napping is my guess.....250 Watts could be even safer than we all thought!;););)
regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe one of those over powered US bikes, and it caught him napping is my guess.....250 Watts could be even safer than we all thought!;););)
regards
Andy
His photo show him riding a normal electric MTB - haibike:

Another older photo shows him on a Spitzing.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019

There's a few photo's of him on different bikes, still I suppose if you got a bit of brass why not ..simon-cowell-bike-accident.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

what a total twat wearing a face nappy and no crash hat and fkn bar ends pmsl

Reactions: atheo

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not the slight interested in what twatty does.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Simon Cowell is well known and this story may put many people of buying e bikes .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
No matter who it is I wish the guy as good a recovery as possible , shall be no fun having to endure such an Op ..im guessing maybe going bit too fast and breaking too quickly ?

as someone said back brakes can be a bit much in UK , as back braking
very sudden to stop and next thing well can go over the handle bars
but maybe trying a wheelie ?..thing is on any bike id always when going slow
try out the brakes on the straight this before going on any busier roads

and stopping to a dead halt is something I don't like .

The bike I have used for many years now when slowing down or stopping i use both front and back braking slowly , and feel myself slowing to what I want until I come to a stop ..
or if going down a steep hill I tend to have my hands on both brakes as nothing would be worse than going dead fast down a hill and then having to stop for whatever in way ..
When learning to ride a motorcycle we were told the 70 30 rule, 70% on the front brake 30% on the rear.

Reactions: budsy