sinclair C5 for sale!

watkin5

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Bucks
It was an idea before it's time. It used the largest injection moulded plastic shell ever made. It wiped out a significant proportion of Sir Clive's personal wealth.

Disclaimer: I don't know the seller, but I worked for Sinclair Research briefly, when I was a school. A C5 was the company vehicle to get snacks from the local shops. I preferred to walk.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
It was an idea before it's time. It used the largest injection moulded plastic shell ever made. It wiped out a significant proportion of Sir Clive's personal wealth.

Disclaimer: I don't know the seller, but I worked for Sinclair Research briefly, when I was a school. A C5 was the company vehicle to get snacks from the local shops. I preferred to walk.
Strange coincidence, I was looking at them only the other day. If I had the storage space & time, it would be great to refit one with a modern battery and motor!

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Strange coincidence, I was looking at them only the other day. If I had the storage space & time, it would be great to refit one with a modern battery and motor!
I don't know that I'd want to be seen driving one in public though! Well, if I had the chance, I'd just have to try it OFF the public road, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off pretty damn quick.

I can't imagine any conveyance in which I would feel less safe. As far as I can see, there are two main problems - it's too wide and hard to manoeuvre to squeeze through really narrow gaps (unlike a bike) but mainly that you're much too low down - visibility would often be compromised as you would never be able to see over almost any other vehicle in the way, and other drivers would stand even less chance of seeing you than they do now.

One other thing - if you normally ride a pushbike or motorbike, you'd have a struggle re-learning those skills, as handlebars switch you into 'balance' mode whereas this thing needs to be steered. I'm old enough to have ridden motorcycle combinations as well as solo motorbikes, and it's quite tricky moving from one to the other.

As for the electrics, I suspect that the supplied motor would probably be OK but a different battery setup might help with range and power, but see paragraph 1 - who needs it?

Rog.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
I don't know that I'd want to be seen driving one in public though! Well, if I had the chance, I'd just have to try it OFF the public road, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off pretty damn quick.

I can't imagine any conveyance in which I would feel less safe. As far as I can see, there are two main problems - it's too wide and hard to manoeuvre to squeeze through really narrow gaps (unlike a bike) but mainly that you're much too low down - visibility would often be compromised as you would never be able to see over almost any other vehicle in the way, and other drivers would stand even less chance of seeing you than they do now.

One other thing - if you normally ride a pushbike or motorbike, you'd have a struggle re-learning those skills, as handlebars switch you into 'balance' mode whereas this thing needs to be steered. I'm old enough to have ridden motorcycle combinations as well as solo motorbikes, and it's quite tricky moving from one to the other.
I think the C5's time is starting to appear...
Electric vehicles are becoming more acceptable.
Recumbent cycles (which are very similar) are more popular than they were.
Battery technology has improved significantly.

True I don't think the UK is ready yet, but other countries that are more cycle friendly might be getting there. We've got the G-Wizz, why not one step smaller?

As for the electrics, I suspect that the supplied motor would probably be OK but a different battery setup might help with range and power, but see paragraph 1 - who needs it?

Rog.
I've read that the motor had a problem with overheating on hills (aparently that was the main limiting factor for hill climbing), so a more modern design might improve things.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In effect we've had the modern C5 replacements for some while,though more commonly seen in the low countries. Some Velomobiles are specifically designed to have motor power, usually in a rear hub motor, and many have the advantage of enclosed cockpits and full weatherproofing in addition. Some even have a luggage/shopping boot included.

These are far superior to the C5 in every respect.

The one snag they share with the C5 is when the battery runs out and the terrain is too difficult to pedal their weight without power, they are virtually impossible to push along due to the low profile. That means vehicle recovery or a two way trip with a replacement charged battery.

Velomobiles

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I think the C5's time is starting to appear...
Electric vehicles are becoming more acceptable.
Recumbent cycles (which are very similar) are more popular than they were.
Battery technology has improved significantly.
Not really saying much though. More popular in this case isn't even remotely popular. I'll wager we never see the like of the C5 ever again anywhere.

Edit: Except the Low countries apparently.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not really saying much though. More popular in this case isn't even remotely popular. I'll wager we never see the like of the C5 ever again anywhere.
See my post crossing just before yours! :D

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I nearly got run over by a C5 when I was about 13 (well, more like, nearly knocked over, it could hardly run over a mouse let alone a person) - thing came up behind me and I didn't hear it. Whizzed past me and frightened the life out of me (thought it was a big terrier).
From then on I always wanted one – never got one.
I think that's why I like the electric bike so much :)

PS: C5's are not dead yet - rumour has it "number 5 is alive" ;)

C5Alive.co.uk - The place to keep your Sinclair C5 running ! C5 Parts and Accessories!

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
I remember hiring a C5 in Cambridge for a couple of hours after they first came out. Took it to the local supermarket car park and it was quite fun to ride around there. On the roads down, I felt very intimidated by a high bus behind - just the pure size of the bus behind a low position. The camber of some roads was unnerving when it created a lean and it felt that was one being pushed into the gutter by overtaking traffic. Difficult to avoid holes in the road from the driving position too!

I seem to remember that we could pedal it without power - we needed some of that to get it back.

Such nostalgia which is where the C5 should perhaps stay for now