Sinclair c5 revisited

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Sir Clive's nephew has come up with an e trike in a shell. I dread to think how that shell would fare in a minor prang like my recent entanglement with a tram line - out with the body filler and spray paint.

D

Deleted member 33385

Sir Clive's nephew has come up with an e trike in a shell. I dread to think how that shell would fare in a minor prang like my recent entanglement with a tram line - out with the body filler and spray paint.

I wouldn't hold my breath, as nothing ever seems to materialise anyway... This is his nth attempt!

Before I bought the Bafang, I tried to find a used Zeta.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

I dread to think how that shell would fare in a minor prang like my recent entanglement with a tram line

A rapid tyre inflation system to expand it's width at the sight of nearby tram lines would solve that problem. Sufficient expansion, say 5ft or wider, would also protect against cars... but I don't think materials science is there yet.

Reactions: Nealh and jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
A rapid tyre inflation system to expand it's width at the sight of nearby tram lines would solve that problem. Sufficient expansion, say 5ft or wider, would also protect against cars... but I don't think materials science is there yet.
One off those large clear balls, a Zorb, you can roll down hills or ride on water in, enveloping the whole caboodle. Adjacent vehicles would then play pool with you.

D

Deleted member 33385

One off those large clear balls, a Zorb, you can roll down hills or ride on water in, enveloping the whole caboodle. Adjacent vehicles would then play pool with you.

Yes! If a Zorb could suddenly appear around me shortly before my next impact with another BMW, I'd be well pleased, as I bounce over other vehicles towards my destination...

BTW if your unicycle got stuck in a tramline, would you be safer? You might land spritely on your feet. Would you bounce over car roofs in a collision?

D

Deleted member 33385

He's been at it since at least 2010!

https://www.theregister.com/2010/11/04/sinclair_x1/

Here he is "Taking orders", again in 2017!

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/sir-clive-sinclairs-nephew-taking-orders-on-3999-iris-e-trike-599

I get extremely irritated every time I read about or see another feature about one of his ebike creations! And every time you look at his website - for example, at the moment it says that these contraptions of his will be shipping in "Q1 2021" - the timeline has been continuously extended for years! Any backers he does have must be peeved, to say the least! What is the problem Mr. Grant Sinclair? I speculate that even "Aerospace plexiglass" is too heavy. Maybe what he needs is ultrathin (imaginary) "Transparent Aluminium" from Start Tret IV - The Voyage Home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_IV:_The_Voyage_Home

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

At least he twigged the better wheel configuration than his uncle's, more a Morgan than a Reliant;)

Getting lost under lorries and (partially) SUVs is not a pleasant prospect - if the C5 had held the rider in a higher & safer riding position, it would have been far more popular... but the extra fibreglass would have been too heavy for those lead acid batteries.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Getting lost under lorries and (partially) SUVs is not a pleasant prospect - if the C5 had held the rider in a higher & safer riding position, it would have been far more popular... but the extra fibreglass would have been too heavy for those lead acid batteries.
But then he was throughout obsessed with miniaturisation, as that fairy cycle with its child's scooter sized wheels he was pushing at one time.

I did build and use one of the calculators, good for its time for a lad on a budget, where if we wanted to use a calculator we had to buy our own.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

But then he was throughout obsessed with miniaturisation, as that fairy cycle with its child's scooter sized wheels he was pushing at one time.

I did build and use one of the calculators, good for its time for a lad on a budget, where if we wanted to use a calculator we had to buy our own.

Yes I also searched for a Sinclair A-Bike to buy lol... but I saw sanity before hitting the "Buy now" button.

D

Deleted member 33385

Wait, you could get the "flag" job to eradicate that issue!

Those flags were massive and hard for drivers to miss! I wonder what odds Ladbrokes would offer me for my bet that the shipping date for Grant Sinclair's current design will be abandoned?

Last edited:

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
To be fair, it's considerably larger than a C5. Lambo height, maybe.
And plenty of surface to put dayglo on:

> EXTRA SAFE - Chest height, high level profile attracts attention from other road users

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

To be fair, it's considerably larger than a C1. Lambo height, maybe.
And plenty of surface to put dayglo on:

> EXTRA SAFE - Chest height, high level profile attracts attention from other road users

Yes it looks great! But will it ever venture beyond 3D renderings?

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
This has been 'almost ready' for some years. Anything that encourages people out of cars is fine by me.

Sadly, the price has crept up to £4999, the price of a decent, low mileage small car, so it seems doubtful that it will tempt many out of the tinbox.

D

Deleted member 33385

This has been 'almost ready' for some years. Anything that encourages people out of cars is fine by me.

Sadly, the price has crept up to £4999, the price of a decent, low mileage small car, so it seems doubtful that it will tempt many out of the tinbox.

He's using very expensive material for the shell - a 3D printed lattice might work out lighter and perhaps cheaper at scale...

http://a-difference-in-making.com/en/projects/fix3d-bike-frame/

https://www.engineering.com/story/edag-evolves-the-3d-printed-car-concept

Last edited:
Reactions: Edward Elizabeth